Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #1  

sldva00

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520 CUT
Convinced my wife it would be cheaper to just build a trailer than buy one. Decided to build an 8x20 foot trailer. Comparable trailers costs around $4,700 (Big Tex brand) at local dealer. After buying the steel, axles, tires, and everything I needed, the savings wasn't what I expected. Since steel pieces come in 24' lengths, decided to build a 20'+4' dovetail to be more cost effective. I've built a couple of much smaller projects. This is the first big project I've attempted so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 712
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 669
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 552
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 745
   / Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #2  
Looks like a good start :)

I build my (4x8) trailer in 2003, the price of steel went up since too. The good thing is I trust it up to 2500 pounds or more and it can go where my CJ7 can go.

2~1.jpg

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #3  
Great looking build project. I went through the same thing years ago and found all materials needed to build the trailer I wanted wasn't very cost effective and buy the time I figured in my time and electric, rods for my welder it would have been cheaper to buy. Nothing wrong with building your own though. When I was considering building I didn't have the time. I have built several other smaller projects. Keep us posted as you progress.

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #5  
I was going to do the same after pricing everything then price in rods, electric bill you can buy cheaper.

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #6  
you cant put a price on the satisfaction Of "I did That" . Good Job on the build

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #7  
I'm with the others. By the time you buy all the parts and steel, you can buy a used trailer cheaper than you can build one and new factory ones are not much more. The factory places are getting the axles, tires, and steel way cheaper than the DIYer can get them for. In many cases their cost is likely 30-50% cheaper than why the average person can buy it for.

Sucks that yours was stolen. I know the feeling as I have had more than one truck stolen in the past.

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #8  
It may be cheaper to buy a trailer, but now you know how it's built if something breaks, and I almost gurantee you are building it plenty heavy too

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #9  
I bought a 5 ton trailer for 3200 You can build one that cheap!.

/ Trailer got stolen, so decided to build one #10  
Convinced my wife it would be cheaper to just build a trailer than buy one. Decided to build an 8x20 foot trailer. Comparable trailers costs around $4,700 (Big Tex brand) at local dealer. After buying the steel, axles, tires, and everything I needed, the savings wasn't what I expected. Since steel pieces come in 24' lengths, decided to build a 20'+4' dovetail to be more cost effective. I've built a couple of much smaller projects. This is the first big project I've attempted so far.

It looks like you are on the way with a good game plan. From looking at the pictures though, are the cross pieces big enough? It looks like 1x2 tube and from the way I over load trailers I would think they are a little small, or not?

I don't want to pick on your job but it seems like for a heavy trailer like that they at least should be on edge for more load capability. Looks very nice though and good weld.