What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design?

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Some deadbeat recently stole my wood splitter. I have about 130 rick of wood already cut and stacked drying so I'm in no hurry for a replacement. Since, I have most of the needed supplies sitting around the obvious choice is to build one. I split all different sizes of wood so it needs to be versatile. The fire box on my stove is pretty small and square wood stacks way better so this one has me intrigued. image-1151579728.jpg

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #2  
Those do seem cool. Make a dozen piece of fire wood in one stroke. I suspect it would take some serious hydraulic force. Heck even a 4 way split is a big improvement over a straight split.

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design?
Those do seem cool. Make a dozen piece of fire wood in one stroke. I suspect it would take some serious hydraulic force. Heck even a 4 way split is a big improvement over a straight split.
It certainly will. Do you guys think a 5" bore cylinder will be adequate? That should be about 49,000 pounds at 2500 psi. Hopefully I'll be able to get the pressure higher.

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #4  
When I split wood I used a Didier splitter with a single vertical splitting wedge. It had 25K hydraulics with a step-down feature when the going got tough. There were times when my Ponderosa pine brought this splitter to a complete stop - really large knots.

The wood being split in the pic you show must either be very easy to split or there are some tremendous hydraulic forces involved. That "splitting head" must be held in place by some substantial structural members also.

In any case - the concept is very intriguing and definitely worth investigation. I would guess - just by the size of the hydraulic tank there on the side - that the unit must be in the size range you are considering.

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #5  
I've used a lot of splitters, I have no idea who's wedge design is "best", BUT I can tell you, without a doubt the one on my Timberwolf is the best I've ever used,

standard.jpg

EVERYTHING get's pushed through that 4-way,

standard.jpg

and it really speeds up my splitting chores, all without even one whimper!

SR

What size cylinder is on it? Is the height of the 4 way adjustable? It looks like it has wings on the end of the 4 way in an effort to make it a 8 way. Do they work?

Could I use two 4" bore cylinders? I have 2 suitable 4" bore cylinders, and it will cost several hundred dollars to get something bigger. I don't think a single 4" bore cylinder will be strong enough.

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #8  
I don't think 5" will push that. Mine has a 5x36 cyl and can get bogged in a gnarly yellow birch or beech. Don't you hate it when someone steals your stuff? Grrr Jim
Edit - saw your 2x4 idea after I was typing. Someone must have a chart for force req per wedge count. Maybe w two cyls you want one of those hybrid jobs with wood being pushed both ways across a horizontal wedge with 3-4 dividing wedges under it. Or : Dad's Wood Splitter: The first Tempest Trailered Unit built - YouTube

Jim

Last edited:
   / What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #9  
Yes, you can put two cylinders in parallel. That is what I am doing in my design because it is more cost effective.

Ken

/ What is the 'best' wood splitter wedge design? #10  
The problem with the french fry style wedges are that it is very easy to get a jamb that is difficult to clear. High quality logs become important.

Ken