Pipe saddle

/ Pipe saddle #1  

Osu98

Tractor
Massey ferguson
Thank you in advance for any help with this.

I'm building some pipe fence and decided to use 4.5" pipe for the corners instead of running the 2 3/8" up and over for support. I figured it was about the same $$ and a lot safer than building fence 10' off the ground. If I'm thinking crazy please let me know.

What I'm looking for is a jig to saddle the 2 3/8" pipe to 4.5". I really thought it would be easy to find one but so far no luck. I have free handed it before but a pattern jig would be a lot easier.

/ Pipe saddle #2  
Not quite knowing the situation, the 1st thought that came to my mind, was a short piece of angle iron (saddle). It wouldn't have to contour the pipe radius.

/ Pipe saddle #4  
You could just hand cut/grind one to fit, then make a templet of the results from a piece of shoebox cardboard or if you have it available, gasket material. Might take less time than searching the internet for something.

4.5" pipe isn't very common, where did you get that from or is it just standard wall 4" that would be about 4.5" OD.

/ Pipe saddle #5  
Instead of saddling the 2 3/8" O.D. pipe to the 4" by fish mouthing you could just drill a hole in the 4" with a hole-saw an insert the smaller pipe .

/ Pipe saddle #6  
Instead of saddling the 2 3/8" O.D. pipe to the 4" by fish mouthing you could just drill a hole in the 4" with a hole-saw an insert the smaller pipe .

Never thought of that before. This might change all my plans for when I get around to building my fence!!!!!

Who do you think makes the best hole saws for doing this?

/ Pipe saddle
You could just hand cut/grind one to fit, then make a templet of the results from a piece of shoebox cardboard or if you have it available, gasket material. Might take less time than searching the internet for something.

4.5" pipe isn't very common, where did you get that from or is it just standard wall 4" that would be about 4.5" OD.

I've been buying it from the railroad yard in Stillwater Ok. I've never actually put a tape on it but they sell it as 4.5" but it could be 4"

/ Pipe saddle
Never thought of that before. This might change all my plans for when I get around to building my fence!!!!!

Who do you think makes the best hole saws for doing this?

I'm curious about the saw also. Would have to be a heavy duty one to drill holes in the thick pipe all day

/ Pipe saddle #9  
Going off of the whole saw idea. What if you did the hole with a torch or plasma cutter??

/ Pipe saddle #10  
The Lenox brand hole saw stands up pretty good. I used them to cut copes in 2.375 for the ends of cantilever gates. It was a 1.875" hole saw and I had a modified drill press vice to hold the material. Used the pilot bit for a stop and cut (slowly and carefully) half a circle out of the end to make a perfect weld joint.
If the 4.5" pipe isn't in the ground yet I'd try a similar setup with a hole saw sized for the top rail, once you get everything dialed in for the first one the rest go pretty fast.