automatic gate opener

/ automatic gate opener #1  

merlebo02

Tractor
JD or Kubota
I am looking to install an automatic gate, It will be 2 5'x10' gates weighing about 350-400 lbs a piece.. It will be in a remote area so will need solar panels Looking for recommendations on brands for automatic gate openers.. I was thinking mighty mule but after reading the reviews not so sure (they got some horrible reviews).

Any pointers you can give related to installing an automatic gate would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first DIY project!!

/ automatic gate opener #2  
I did some work on one for a customer for the first time last summer. These were Italian and had a hydraulic ram, with electric pump and motor all in one compact extruded housing. I never knew and lost a quart of hundred dollar oil! I thought they were all simply electric actuators. The hydraulics make it easy to incorporate relief valves in case the gate hits something.

/ automatic gate opener #3  
I've installed several mighty mules and for the price they are great.

If you can install correctly they last a few years. They also have parts available at home depot and tsc which is good if it breaks on a Saturday night.

Properly done they are great gates. The solar works well and the one thing I've had problems with is lightning killing a control board.

I have two currently that gets used multiple times daily and I keep an extra in case I need parts. They are easy to work on and have many options available like keypads, drive over exit, solar, remotes, locks etc.

/ automatic gate opener #4  
I have a night mule and a Apollo. They Apollo cost more but are far better made.

I use a 3600 dual for my front gate. It is big and heavy. Solar powered

Gate Crafters has the best selection of perfectly matched accessories to meet all your gate and gate opening needs

My gate gatesm.jpg

/ automatic gate opener #5  
I have a us automatic patriot on my 16' heavy gate. It is solar powered. Been there about five years and works great. Had to replace the battery one time.

/ automatic gate opener #7  
I don't know what brand he used, but my Dad had a solar powered one and it got damaged by lightning so many times he gave up on using it.

/ automatic gate opener #8  
Those are some heavy gates. I don't see a Mighty Mule dual gate opener rated for a gate over 300lbs.

I have used the Mighty Mule openers at my house and they work okay for the money. My first FM350 got taken out by lightening as well as my solar panel. I replaced it with the same. Repairs were estimated to be 2/3 the cost of a new unit so I just bought a whole new one. We just moved our gate and went duals so I bought the FM362 set from TS. It is lighter than the FM350 and is pretty slow but it functions okay. I think it damaged one of the screws when I was setting the stall force setting but it still works. It just makes a funny sound at the first stage of closing like the screw is bent a little. All my gates are under 100lbs.

I use a lawn tractor battery and a 30w Instapark solar panel. It'll put out 18v in the shade so I never have to pull the battery and charge it. I originally used a 10w panel and at times of extended cloudiness and in winter I would have to pull the battery and charge it a few times each year. The Mighty Mule control panel has a built in charge regulator so you don't have to buy one separate from the panel. I didn't know that at first and ordered charge controllers with my panels.

/ automatic gate opener #9  
I have had two mighty mule openers and now leave my front gates open. How is that for an endorsement?

/ automatic gate opener #10