Gas power post driver

/ Gas power post driver #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Anyone have any experience with one of these gas powered portable post drivers? The neighbors and I are looking at going in on one for driving tee posts.

RediDriver

/ Gas power post driver #2  
Those are pretty cool.

A while back I added some fence to my place and had to install a bunch of t posts. I ended up using a electric jackhammer to drive the posts. I put a piece of foam in the back of the truck for the guy running the jackhammer. Then I had another guy on the ground who would put the post in place and put the head of the jackhammer on the post. Only took a few seconds to drive a post and nobody really had to work that hard.

I suspect this gas powered setup would work even better. There are some air operated t post drivers available that are supposed to work well.

/ Gas power post driver #3  
REDI-Driver-DOT-001.jpg

For $2500 I think I would buy a generator and an electric jackhammer and make a post driver modification to the bit.

/ Gas power post driver #4  
Ouch, that's a lot of dough for a post driver. I guess if you were going to use it regularly it might be worth it.

It's pretty easy to modify a ground rod driver or tent stake driving bit for a 1-1/8" electric jackhammer. We just slid a piece of pipe over a stent stake driver and it worked great.
Bosch Ground Rod Driver, 1-1/8 Hex HS2172 | Zoro.com

Another option would be air operated post driver.
Striker Tools Air-Operated Post Driver-43 - The Home Depot

Or a gas powered jackhammer.

Looks like there are quite a few other gas powered post drivers out there.
Rhino Ranch Pro™ Gas-Powered Post Driver | GEMPLER'S

Gas Powered T-post Driver, Gas Powered Post Driver, T Post Pounder, Gas Post Driver, T-Post Driver, gas powered paving breaker, t post pounder, picket pounder, gas tie tamper, gas tamper, gasoline post driver

/ Gas power post driver
REDI-Driver-DOT-001.jpg

For $2500 I think I would buy a generator and an electric jackhammer and make a post driver modification to the bit.

That's the full retail price for a full-blown kit that drives everything and anything up to almost 4". I don't need that.
I've seen the redi-driver for about $1300 and some other knock-offs for even less that will drive up to 1 7/8" (tee-posts and sign posts).

You make a good point about using a modified electric jackhammer that you could run off a generator/welder. Hadn't thought of that.

/ Gas power post driver #6  
That's the full retail price for a full-blown kit that drives everything and anything up to almost 4". I don't need that.
I've seen the redi-driver for about $1300 and some other knock-offs for even less that will drive up to 1 7/8" (tee-posts and sign posts).

You make a good point about using a modified electric jackhammer that you could run off a generator/welder. Hadn't thought of that.

Seems to me there are a lot more uses for a demo hammer and generator. This seems to be a bit pricey and heavy and it collecting dust most of the time for me anyway. I'm really wondering now about that air operated one though.

/ Gas power post driver #7  
Seems to me there are a lot more uses for a demo hammer and generator. This seems to be a bit pricey and heavy and it collecting dust most of the time for me anyway. I'm really wondering now about that air operated one though.
There are several threads here on the air compressor powered post driver made by Rohrer, most with praises. Just search
rohrer on this site.

Last edited: