Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I was watching too many YouTube videos during the hot weather,
and I ran across a video of a LandPlane,,
THEN, I got to reading the DIY's of LandPlanes on TBN,

OK,, I am hooked, I gotta HAVE one!!

If I didn't have the material, I would run out and buy one,,,
but,, I happen to have all the material setting in a field.

Right now, I am predicting my out of pocket costs to be some gasoline for the welder.

I was gonna build one 6 feet long, and 8 feet wide,,, but,,,
if something happens to my current tractor, I would probably replace it with the next size smaller.

So, I have changed my plan to be a 5 feet long,, 7 feet wide one.

Today, I spent some time "tuning" my 9x16 saw,,,
then I "guessed" what material to use, and started selecting it from my stockpile.

Material_zpsmnfzbsbz.jpg

My drill press does great up to 7/8" and struggles with 1" and beyond (small inverter), so I will make it CAT I.

D7K_6444_zpsbdsz2iam.jpg

The sides will be 1/2" X 12",, other than that,,,, Hmmmmmm,,,

Any and all recommendations of what to include in the design would be greatly appreciated!!

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #2  
Nice press..I have been looking for a Clausing found a few but were all 460 three phase..(no wonder they were so cheap) Have fun!!
and keep the pictures coming. Land plane will probably be my next build myself..:thumbsup:
Sean

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #3  
Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #4  
What are you going to pull it with? From what I hear a 8' wide one will have to be noticeably over 1k lbs to dig in properly. Combine that with the length & you might be pushing Cat1 specs a bit.

Are you looking at smoothing or leveling? The longer it is the better it will level (same reason road graders are so long).

Subscribing. I've been slowly acquiring parts to build my own at some point. Have a few grader blades so far. Selling the L3200 here soon & getting a cabbed machine, so likely looking at a 6' one for my future machine rather than my current 5' track.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
What are you going to pull it with? From what I hear a 8' wide one will have to be noticeably over 1k lbs to dig in properly. Combine that with the length & you might be pushing Cat1 specs a bit.

Are you looking at smoothing or leveling? The longer it is the better it will level (same reason road graders are so long).

Subscribing. I've been slowly acquiring parts to build my own at some point. Have a few grader blades so far. Selling the L3200 here soon & getting a cabbed machine, so likely looking at a 6' one for my future machine rather than my current 5' track.

I think I got the "pull" end of the LP covered,,, (pic with old tires)

2012-09-09141258800x519.jpg

I even JUST put new tires on the back, I replaced the fronts a couple years ago,,, (pic with all new tires)

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg

The minimal use of the LP will be to smooth some "speed bumps" in my SIL's lawn,,
The major use will be to maintain my 1/4 mile driveway,,, which also has "speed bumps".

A rear scraper blade, box blade, landscape rake with wheels, nor the loader
have ever been great at making the driveway perfect.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
Today, after moving some more material,,
I decided to cut the 1/2" X 12" X 120" steel bar in half.
The steel bar will become the 2 sides of the LP.
The steel weighs 20 pounds per foot, so I would have to use the loader to move the bar into the saw.

The bar could be torch cut, but, my 20+ year old saw would make a nicer cut.
After spending 30 minutes getting the bar positioned in the saw,,,
the actual cut took just over 60 seconds.

Saw%201_zps4qm2b0nq.jpg

Saw%202_zpsc4fuvvdf.jpg

Success,,, :thumbsup:

Saw%203_zpsgpf5qtbq.jpg

I have about 7 parts ready,,, this is taking time,
because part of what I am doing is moving a rack, and some of the steel into the shed.

Material%20Rack_zps9viwguwt.jpg

I could get a little more done each day,,, if it wasn't 90+ degrees outside,,, :confused2:

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #7  
Nice press..I have been looking for a Clausing found a few but were all 460 three phase..(no wonder they were so cheap) Have fun!!
and keep the pictures coming. Land plane will probably be my next build myself..:thumbsup:
Sean

Get a cheap (about a hundred $ or less used) VFD to power a 3ph motor from single phase power.....
Sorry hijack

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #8  
If I didn't have the material, I would run out and buy one,,,
but,, I happen to have all the material setting in a field.

Right now, I am predicting my out of pocket costs to be some gasoline for the welder.

I don't care how well you fertilized, I know that iron didn't grow in the field. :cool:

I need one too! But all I have for starter stock is a 10' length of 10" I-beam and some driller's pipe so mine will be 5' long and probably 6' wide. I'll need to open the dead cow and spring for some 3" angle and hitch material.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
I don't care how well you fertilized, I know that iron didn't grow in the field. :cool:

I need one too! But all I have for starter stock is a 10' length of 10" I-beam and some driller's pipe so mine will be 5' long and probably 6' wide. I'll need to open the dead cow and spring for some 3" angle and hitch material.

A business was closing,, I was there at the right time,,,
I would guess I hauled 10K pounds of steel, the saw, the drill,,, PLUS more..
Timing is everything!! :confused2:

"I'll need to open the dead cow and spring for some 3" angle and hitch material,,,"

AND at least two grader blades?? :confused:

I have one grader blade, I am gonna "shop" early next week for another,,
if I can not get a second, I will use a piece of 1/2" X 6" for the second grader blade.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #10  
I built one not too long ago but after adding up the price of blades and rippers I decided to just use an extra box blade I picked up from Craigslist because it was so cheap and used it as a parts donor.

IMG_20160722_164138_018_zpsr5u3nv4o.jpg

IMG_20160722_163801_411_zpsxvxe8zrq.jpg

It turned out narrower than I thought I might want at first but if you want a crown in your road, you only want it half as wide as your road. So the skid is riding in the center. If your blade is at the center you will have a flat road with no drainage. At that point I suppose you will have a lot more hours of use from it though, as it washes out with every rain.

Last edited: