Log splitter build

/ Log splitter build
The other splitter has been like that for years, I would like to see the ram that tears out a piece of 1/2 thick I beam, it would have to be well over 50 ton

/ Log splitter build #22  
:confused:

Every store bought splitter I have seen has the anchor block welded on top like that. My Huskee (Speeco) is that way, and it's a true 35 ton. I once bent the toe plate on a tough old oak crotch, and I have stopped the thing on many a tough piece of wood, and there is no sign of that anchor block moving even a bit.

/ Log splitter build #23  
My swisher splitter was like that. I probably split 150 cords of wood with that splitter before it got stolen.

/ Log splitter build #24  
:confused:

Every store bought splitter I have seen has the anchor block welded on top like that. My Huskee (Speeco) is that way, and it's a true 35 ton. I once bent the toe plate on a tough old oak crotch, and I have stopped the thing on many a tough piece of wood, and there is no sign of that anchor block moving even a bit.

I have never seen a Huskee with an anchor surface welded to the top flange.

I challenge you to take a picture and prove me wrong

/ Log splitter build
Well regardless, this splitter is maybe 20 ton so I don't have to worry about that happening. Got my tank axle tacked on, strainer didn't show up today so hopefully Tommorow I get it and I can weld the coupler in for that and then cut the spindles off the other splitter and fit them

/ Log splitter build #26  
Yes you are probably correct. My comment wasn't meant to criticize your design. It all looks well built and looks like it will all handle 20t. Just pointing out the weakest area I saw.....which I am not implying that it isn't strong enough. My preference is I do not like a surface weld like that. Rather I like an anchor block with more weld area tied to other parts of the beam. Same for wedges. Huskee has a good design for anchor blocks, but then again, they don't use a one piece beam either....Rather a welded up beam

/ Log splitter build #27  
I have seen many anchor blocks welded to falt surfaces, I have seen a few fail, but not many. Weld quality always plays a big part. Cold surface welds will break every time. Do a little grinding and turn up the heat and it will usually stay.

/ Log splitter build #28  
Did you ever mention what size cylinder you would be using?

A potential weak spot I see is the cylinder base anchor/eyelet. Just surface welding to the top of the beam like that. Have seen several splitters rip off a connection like that. Welds were good, it rips out a chunk of beam with it.

I got some pointers from some good fabricators on here, and here is how I ended up attaching the 1" thick wedge and anchor block on my splitter.

View attachment 481125View attachment 481126

I have seen many anchor blocks welded to falt surfaces, I have seen a few fail, but not many. Weld quality always plays a big part. Cold surface welds will break every time. Do a little grinding and turn up the heat and it will usually stay.
It isn't hard for me to imagine that a failure could occur ... after having seen how much flex there is in the beam on my splitter, when it's loaded up to 2000+ psi and trying to work its way through something really tough. And it's only 15-ton ...

My beam (W8 x 28) isn't lightweight ... but it ain't exactly heavy either ...

/ Log splitter build #29  
dean,

What size rectangular tube did you use for the rail the 4-way rides on ?

Looks like mebbe 3 x 6 x ? ...

I really like the design of the 4-way ... the round has already been parted by the vertical fixed wedge by the time it hits the 4-way ... for the most part, it should be less taxing on the equipment.

/ Log splitter build #30  
My beam (W8 x 28) isn't lightweight ... but it ain't exactly heavy either ...

8x28 is plenty heavy. I believe the op is using a 6x25....same as my splitter