Log splitter build

/ Log splitter build #1  

deanwerden

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Cub Cadet sc2400
My dad built a log splitter probably 20 years ago that was battery operated and used a tail gate loader, 10 years ago we upgraded to a China motor and pump that seems to be working pretty good. At the time we were just splitting about 2 cord a wood to heat the garage. 4 years ago I bought a place and am burning wood full time so I am using the splitter quite a bit and wanted to make some improvements. I am using the same cylinder power pack and spindle/wheels But everything else is new for the most part

Here's my new wedge, the old splitter had the wedge on the ram and I'm going to a fixed wedge and pusher plate

One if the major draw backs of the other splitter is that it only has about a 1.5 gallon tank and the oil heats up quick and performance suffers. I am doing a tank axle like most splitters these days have, this holds about 9 gallons and I plan to add sections of the same tube on an angle towards the knife to increase capacity and strength

4 way adjustable wedge

That's all I have for now, Tommorow I will weld the ends on the tank and add a fitting for suction strainer, return, drain and vent

/ Log splitter build #2  
Looks like quite an upgrade... what kind of GPM does the pump put out?

/ Log splitter build #3  
Looks great so far!! :thumbsup:

A tank hint,,, have the tank vent in the center of the tank.
If it is near an end, hmmmmmm,, oil will pump out when that end is "low".

The vent end of the tank ALWAYS finds a low spot when you go to split wood. :laughing:

I had one like that,,, it was a pain to have to position the splitter in a spot dictated by the vent.

/ Log splitter build #4  
Looking good :thumbsup:

How tall is the knife ?

Size of the square tube you are using for the reservoir/axle ?

Hint: Put the outlet for the pickup on the bottom ... I didn't and wish I had.

Like the set back of the knife wings on the 4-way :thumbsup:

2x what CADplans said on centering the fill/vent ...

/ Log splitter build #5  
I would tie in the top of the tube for your adjustable wedge to your vertical wedge. That tube is a big lever if you don't!
Very nice work! That adjustable wedge is an interesting concept!

/ Log splitter build
Looks like quite an upgrade... what kind of GPM does the pump put out?

Its only a 5 horse 10 gpm/ 2gpm power pack. I try and stick to wood a foot and under so the 4 way should work well and save time

/ Log splitter build
Looking good
How tall is the knife ?

Size of the square tube you are using for the reservoir/axle ?

Hint: Put the outlet for the pickup on the bottom ... I didn't and wish I had.

Like the set back of the knife wings on the 4-way :thumbsup:

2x what CADplans said on centering the fill/vent ...

The knife is 13 tall. The axle is 8x8x3/8 and 36 wide.

I'm not sure about putting the pickup on the bottom, the strainer I'm using is 9 long so I am welding a 2" coupling hanging out 2 inches, just don't want to have something hanging down 4 inches

/ Log splitter build
I would tie in the top of the tube for your adjustable wedge to your vertical wedge. That tube is a big lever if you don't!
Very nice work! That adjustable wedge is an interesting concept!

Yup, I need to cut the tube down to match the height of the wedge then add a top plate and drill and tap both the wedge and tube for a strap to tie them together

/ Log splitter build #9  
The knife is 13 tall. The axle is 8x8x3/8 and 36 wide.
Nice.

I'm not sure about putting the pickup on the bottom, the strainer I'm using is 9 long so I am welding a 2" coupling hanging out 2 inches, just don't want to have something hanging down 4 inches
If you don't put it on the bottom, just make sure you place the pick up low enough on the side so you're not sucking air.

I used a piece of 6 x 6 x 1/4 wall square tube for the reservoir/axle on mine because I got it for free and it's what I had laying around.

I had to do similar - welded a piece of pipe (3" or 4") onto the side and then welded a pipe bung to that - to accommodate the length of the strainer. By the time you take into account the diameter of the pipe, the strainer is sitting up off the bottom of the square tube by an 1 1/2" or 2" inches.

That's a lot considering that the reservoir is only 5 1/2" tall (inside) and cannot be completely filled.

I'm likely going to add an addition 10 gallon reservoir that I have sitting around, which will give me more fluid depth at the pickup point.

/ Log splitter build
Got the pusher half built. I am going sheer some different gussets tommorow

Got an end welded in the tank and 2 couplers on top I will use for vent and return

This is what it's replacing