Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #11  
What are you cutting out the sheets to make?
Got a order for over 1000 gun racks. Have the first 300 welded up, still have to powder coat app 225 of them.

/ Todays shop time. #12  
I owed a bowl to a guy so I figured I'd get that taken care of. Ive got a

View attachment 481363

little more sanding tomorrow.

Now you are making me feel bad for sitting on the couch being lazy on the computer. I have a 20" cherry burl sitting in the garage that is ready to be cut up. Not sure why but we have several cherry trees with large burls, the biggest has to be about 40" in diameter. As long as the tree is still alive I let them be.

/ Todays shop time.
I got the bowl finished.

image-3593159055.jpg

/ Todays shop time. #14  
Very nice!

Do you oil it or do anything else prior to using it for salad or other food?

/ Todays shop time.
I oiled it with tung oil. I really don't intend for it to be used for food, but it should be safe to do so. My butcher blocks are oiled with mineral oil which is safe to drink in small quantities ( it's marketed as a laxative). The glue is approved for indirect food contact.

/ Todays shop time. #16  
In another life time, I owned/operated a custom furniture/cabinet shop... I made/sold several of these clocks.....this one is made from a cherry tree a friend had cut down, and it was headed to the dump!

standard.jpg

I always enjoyed making the clocks and made one for each of my brothers and sister.

Anyway, I've been thinking about making a few of them, but I seem to have a hard time getting started on them... lol

SR

/ Todays shop time. #17  
I got the bowl finished.

View attachment 481459
Nice... a lathe is the one tool in my woodshop that is noticeably missing. Never done turning but when I retire that will be on the to do list. What lathe are you running... looks like a Jet? Ideally I would get a metal lathe that I could also turn wood.

Oh and good idea on the thread... not sure why I didn't think of it myself! :thumbsup:

/ Todays shop time.
Nice... a lathe is the one tool in my woodshop that is noticeably missing. Never done turning but when I retire that will be on the to do list. What lathe are you running... looks like a Jet? Ideally I would get a metal lathe that I could also turn wood. Oh and good idea on the thread... not sure why I didn't think of it myself! :thumbsup:
That lathe is a Jet 1642 which I "stole" for $500. I've also got a made in USA Powermatic 3520. I've got a 1440 Jet metal lathe. Not saying it can't be done, but turning wood and metal doesn't work very good. I could have never afforded the 1440 at current prices. I bought it about 10 years ago on sale for $3000. image-2575534031.jpg image-2099950298.jpg

image-2405910003.jpg

Last edited:
   / Todays shop time.
I rough sanded 2 cutting boards, and glued up another one. image-449240838.jpg

image-2557831713.jpg

/ Todays shop time.
I made 70 of these over the last couple weeks. image-3761619181.jpg

image-102447801.jpg