Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #511  
Hey OP05, nice Christmas present - goin' kinda high-falutin' on us; tapped holes an' all - next, you'll be "shinifying" your whole table and clear-coating it - (oh, wait; that would be ME :rolleyes:)

Dragon, nice lookin' stand - your pic explains why it stays put, you forgot to mention that the TABLE casters roll east/west, and the vise stand casters roll north/south - so whenever it tries to move, at least TWO of the casters are tryin' to SKID - It's all clear to me now... :D...Steve

/ Todays shop time. #512  
Dragon, nice lookin' stand - your pic explains why it stays put, you forgot to mention that the TABLE casters roll east/west, and the vise stand casters roll north/south - so whenever it tries to move, at least TWO of the casters are tryin' to SKID - It's all clear to me now... :D...Steve
Oh that is what is going on... the science is befuddling me. :D. I do have to say that you are like Kreskin! Indeed the pedestal casters are North/South... how did you know! :confused3:

/ Todays shop time. #513  
Grasshopper, the answer is obvious to one who not only looks, but will SEE - if you examine the little pedals on the vise pedestal, you will see a shallow engraving, placed there by wise oriental elves - it says, "ON" - which of course stands for Obviously North... (The OTHER little pedal is also engraved, it's an abbreviation for Opposite Field of Force)

With age comes wisdom, but only if you SEEK it (OK, 'nuff bull-crap, I just GUESSED 'cause it worked for my joke :laughing:) ,,,Steve

/ Todays shop time. #514  
I don't think I've ever seen a vice broken like that. Wow. How much force was exerted and by what?

/ Todays shop time. #515  
Daugen, I'll let OP05 confirm, but I think this is part of the answer - "This is what happens when you put a 2' pipe on a bench vice, again," - if you look at the picture, the vise was welded more than once; and the current break seems to be right where the HAZ stopped - then there's approximately 175 pounds times 2 feet (the pipe) for about 350 foot pounds of torque on the acme screw -

I've been known to be guilty of the same abuse, although to a lesser degree (only 'cause I REALLY don't wanna lose the particular vise - it works so well on the smallest weld table :ashamed:)... Steve

/ Todays shop time. #516  
Hey OP05, nice Christmas present - goin' kinda high-falutin' on us; tapped holes an' all - next, you'll be "shinifying" your whole table and clear-coating it - (oh, wait; that would be ME :rolleyes:) ...Steve
When I started prepping a new old rusty weld scared steel plate base for the new bench vice, yup I started shining up a 3/8" x 10" x 10" plate and the first thing I thought was you, I said to myself oh no, then I came back to my world and stopped grinding and sanding immediately, wow that was close.

I don't think I've ever seen a vice broken like that. Wow. How much force was exerted and by what?
How much force you ask...........Think I was getting close to turning green and ripping my shirt since this half hr job was already went over an hour, but instead of turning green this small pipe in the first pic was all it took to break my 25 year old vice, the first break was 15 years ago. I weld it again at a latter date.
IMG-0456.JPG

Here's a couple pictures of the half hour project that I broke my vice on. On my tractor winch, the 5 new cable sliders I put on recently had over 1/4'' gap between the keyhole and slider, causing the cable and or choker chain to get pinched in there (these things only happen to me) the bolts had runned out of thread so I added more threads, put the slider on cable and tighten with impact on low, as soon as the bolt started squeezing the slider, the bolts stripped out, tried again and same thing, with 3 left I decided to put the slider in my old vice and squish it up a little, going hard so that's when I put the pipe on and then SNAP BING BANG BOOM.

So then I clamp the slider with vise grip near the bolt hole, hit it a with hammer and it flew out of the vice grip and fell on the floor, tried bigger hammer with vice grip, it flew off the bench, hit the wall and bounce around, then I thought I need something with more pressure, (wood spliter) so again clamped with vice grip near the bolt hole, (dont want to clamp where the slider rides on cable so's not to cause rough edges) I bring the wedge up a little, and the slider still flew out of the vice grips, twice, so unlike baseball I quit on two strikes and walked, nothings working, I then went to tractor store and bought $30.00 worth of 1/2" x 2" bolts, lock nuts/washers, grade 5 fine and case harden coarse thread, something gotta work, got home and tried the grade 5 fine thread first, put the impact on wound all 5 on in 5 minutes, DONE, now the keyhole in the sliders have very little play/gap, and while I was at the tractor place I looked at the new shiny Fransgaud winch like mine and those had very little gap on the sliders, like I thought they did.
IMG-0452.JPG IMG-0453.JPG IMG-0455.JPG

/ Todays shop time. #517  
I cobbled together a stand for a shop vacuum hose to hang on at the drill press. The base is leftover concrete that I let setup in a bucket and later drilled a hole into. Some 1/2" PVC pipe and a leftover metal dowel from Mrs.tillers flower garden makes the upright. The 90 degree clamp thingy is from a project back in the 80's. No money involved it this one, just time hunting through the junk piles.

Drill Press Vacuum.jpg

/ Todays shop time.
I worked on framing up the building I’ve been working on. Here’s the assortment of drivers I had on the job. For just driving screws into new spruce I like the little drill because it’s quieter. For removing screws especially Phillips head, driving screws into harder wood, and bigger fasteners the impact is by far the better tool. The Dewalt impact is by far the strongest one there. 5 star rating for it in my book. IMG_4080.JPGIMG_4081.JPG

/ Todays shop time. #519  
I worked on framing up the building I’ve been working on. Here’s the assortment of drivers I had on the job. For just driving screws into new spruce I like the little drill because it’s quieter. For removing screws especially Phillips head, driving screws into harder wood, and bigger fasteners the impact is by far the better tool. The Dewalt impact is by far the strongest one there. 5 star rating for it in my book. View attachment 550658View attachment 550659
I absolutely love my Dewalt 20v impact driver. Big power in a little package. Actually, pretty darn happy with all of my Dewalt 20v tools. Haven't played with the 60v flex battery tools but really no need for them for me.

/ Todays shop time. #520  
Yep, I am a bit surprised but it works great! I modified a HF 24in clamp, cutting down the aluminum rail to suit. The table is so dang heavy that it doesn't 'go' anywhere.

View attachment 550335

I love the fact that I can wheel them up to my 4'x8' steel table and quickly clamp them or wheel them out of the way when not needed.

I like the way that works - very clever. Not knowing much I have a question. What are the the spacer/washer/leveler things between your vise and stand table. Thanks.

gg