Tractor bulldozer

/ Tractor bulldozer #21  
If the FEL can't knock down small bushes every operator I've ever watched would be buying new FELs all the time. Even to push it into a pile of heavy dirt would be far more load then a small bush. Seam like reinventing the wheel.

A Dozer blade sits much closer to the front tires and is easier to control and built to withstand constant push.

/ Tractor bulldozer #22  
image-1991637608.jpg

Ever thought of a belly scraper

/ Tractor bulldozer #23  
Designed for leveling loose material. Certainly wouldn't want to drive the front of the tractor thru the brush to get at it with the blade.

/ Tractor bulldozer #24  
I never try to push over light brush, that's why they invented rotary cutters!!

Once that stuff is cut down/up it's much easier to deal with, easier on the tractor too...

SR

/ Tractor bulldozer #25  
30 years ago it was common to see dozer blade kits on various tractors using a long beam under the center of the tractor, fastening to the rear drawbar. This was an attempt to transfer the stress to the point those tractors were designed to pull loads from. Down side was you had very limited ground clearance underneath with that large beam there. Plus side was the blade fore/aft tilt stayed stable because the blade was pivoting on that long beam. Most dozer blade assemblies purchased today will use the FEL mounting location if it's available. If you think about it, a tractor designed to use an FEL has already reinforced the center section of the chassis for that task. Utilizing a dozer blade puts a slightly different stress on the chassis. But nothing that will be catastrophic.

Thinking again, about how much force is being put on the chassis of your tractor when using the FEL and the rear wheels are lifting off the ground??? :eek:

Most loader sub frames I see have the rear axle connections I am speaking of. It is more to transfer the torque applied from pushing with what is a vertical lever on that connection, but the same mounting system would work well for a front dozer blade.

/ Tractor bulldozer #26  
I have a 8' 6-way dozer blade for my 100 hp 13,000 lb tracked skid steer. Great for snow, not to impressive in dirt. It will push loose dirt like a champ but you can not cut into native ground like a dozer does very well. I bought it used for about 1/5 the price of a new one and it is handy for certain things but not nearly as useful as one might think. I am more productive with a regular bucket for most dirt moving tasks. On a small light weight tractor less than 50hp I think a dozer blade would be about useless in dirt.

/ Tractor bulldozer
Hopefully get some pictures when I get back to the farm in two weeks. I have just been to the local tip shop and bought a large amount of steel ranging from 1/2 inch to 3/4 thick and use it for the first attempt.So far have spent $60 so a cheap experiment...so far!
I am going to mockup the design and subframe in wood and will post those pictures first and would appreciate any feedback on design.
the front frame will look aliitle like thisimage.jpeg. with a subframe going to the rear axle that looks like this image.jpeg
thank you all for your commenta

/ Tractor bulldozer #28  
These blades are produced a half-hour drive from where I live, they are intended for forestry use but can easily be used for phushing dirt and some stumps. They cn be angeled to som extent in ether direction. They are attached to a subframe which extends from the rear axle to the front of the tractor. Built so you do not lose height under tractor

004.jpg