/windmill water pump

/ /windmill water pump #11  
My experience with windmills tells me that you should lift water with a submerged pump and use a large check valve to be able to lower the piston quickly. So, converting your vertical power shaft to a water lifting mechanism is do-able with the right transmission. I would have recommended a more conventional cyclic powerhead using, say a small gas engine shortblock or compressor body as a secondary option to pump air to an air motor water pump at the pond or better, just use a conventional water pumping windmill system. Livestock need a reliable water supply at all times.

The main consideration is what volume of water does it take (say in a given day or week) to supply the number of animals expected. That sizes the machinery along with how much wind do you have over the course of time. No problem with too much water, but not enough is a bad situation.

A conventional, 'vintage' windmill with an 8' wheel is good for about 1-1/2 hp in a strong wind, but has time on its side as far as pumping water volume. I have 8 of them on my property. Minimum 2" cylinder with a 4" stroke and a tank right at the pump jack works best for me. maybe a 30% - 40% duty cycle on the wind's presence. On hot days you don't get a lot of wind.

Attachments

• P1140761 (531x800).jpg
    P1140761 (531x800).jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 193
  • P1140766 (531x800).jpg
    P1140766 (531x800).jpg
    359 KB · Views: 198
   / /windmill water pump #12  
This ones our favorite (insulated against freezing). Horses don't like ice water.

The next one is the most practical. It pumps air using a semi-truck auxilliary lift axle air spring. Air is sent to an 'air stone' in the pond which keeps a section open all winter. You can get 100+ psi out of this job if it plugs. Then she blows up the fittings.

Attachments

• 20150827_162743.jpg
    20150827_162743.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • 20160706_103019.jpg
    20160706_103019.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 211
   / /windmill water pump #13  
I've used pex in low vacuum applications simply because it was on hand I've pulled 20in/hg on it but only in short sections.

/ /windmill water pump
Furrball idea #1:
Use the mill to drive a piston/reed valve compressor.
Run air from the compressor, thru the pex, to a 2nd, pneumatically driven water pump, down at the pond, to push the water uphill to his stock tank.

Lossy, to be sure, but avoids collapsing tube trauma, loss of prime paroxysms and the heartbreak of cavitation by maintaining positive pressure in all the plumbing.​

Furrball idea #2:
Put a capstan on the mill and drive a pump at the pond with a capstan on it, using a loop of rope.
Simpler build. 'Course you'd have to keep everyone clear of the rigging so they don't get fouled and go for a Nantucket sleigh ride with an unhappy ending.​

Furrball idea #3:
Move the tower to the pond and raise it enough to catch the wind.

Just tossing them out there to see if the cat licks it up.
Or the dog brings it back.
Running them up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Man, do I love applejack!

-Jim​

Well, I think furrball 2 and 3 are out of the equation. furrball number 1 I find interesting, but not sure How well I like the ideal of making a air pump to drive a air motor to drive a pump to pump water. Seems like a lot of moving parts, but also sounds reasonable enough that I think I will spend a little time researching the ideal. Now one thing I do know is that a pvc water pump can act as a air pump, vacuum pump or a water pump. the design is basicly the same to do all three functions. If one could make such a system work, it would solve the problem of the pump freezing in winter therefore only have to worry about the pex tubing freezing and not the entire water system. One problem I see with using the pvc as a air pump would be wear on the pvc cyl and piston. dont know how one would keep it lubricated so as to not wear out in a week. While typeing this, I had and ideal for lubrication of the air pump assembly. basicly, add a oil tank so that as the piston runs up and down the cyl, it could pull oil into the cyl and push it back into the tank on the up stroke. Just have to figure out what kind of oil to use that wouldnt hurt the pvc pipe. Another ideal I had for the air pump would to be use a small hydraulic cyl instead of pvc pipe. since it wouldnt have any water in the cylinder, could be oiled using the same oil tank accessory for lubficationand would only need the addition of another port on the base end of cyl body. it would be very easy to put together. And I have some air cyl's I could convert just laying on the shelf in the shop. Any way, I am just rambling on with some of my own furrbar ideals. I havnt even seen the wind mill yet. Since bIL lives about 60 miles from me, it will probably be toward the end of next week before I can visit and I will take a camera to get a few pic.

ZZVY, I read your post too, I am sure I will have a few questions to ask you once I figure out what I have to work with. Right now its fun toying with different ideals, even if they do seem a little out there some times, thats why Necessity is the Mother of invention.

Everybody else, Keep the ideals coming.​

/ /windmill water pump #15  
I do not know how deep your well is but if one has some depth below the water table, one can use a air lift pump, and pump air into the stand pipe and as the air rises it will bring water up as well, need a small stand pipe,

the geyser pump needs less depth of water,

look up Geyser Pump or air lift pump Airlift pump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a commercial made unit Submersible Pumps, Bore Pumps, Well Pumps, De-watering, Aerating, Leachate. DIY

and the picture is of a positive displacement pump, the problem is it needs some type of valve alternate the air and even dump the air, out of the cylinder, but one could possibly use two blow guns that would operate off the turning shaft with reduction that would run a set of cams that would work the blow gun vales, to blow air in to displace water, and one working opposite to dump the air so water can refill the cylinder with water to be pushed out again by air,

Attachments

• P076B.GIF
    P076B.GIF
    3.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
   / /windmill water pump #17  
Just trying to show some of the mechanicals of a jerk line setup.

/ /windmill water pump
BIL came up for a visit today and we discussed some the options that have been suggested. I showed him a Utupe video of building a pvc pump so he is going to try to put one together sometime this week. He's sure of dead set on trying the pex tubing since he already has it and its leftover material from when he plumbed in his barn so it zero cost to try. We discussed the air pump ideal but not sure how to figure out the specs needed to make it work. I am currently leaning toward one of these type pumps, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ontent=41763&gclid=CMW0zN-7v88CFVc6gQodZv0G0Q Not sure if making a air pump will produce the pressure needed to make it work. It takes a minimum 29psi and 10cfm to make work, I think it might be hard to get the windmill to pump that amount of volume or pressure with the materials I have on hand.

/ /windmill water pump #19  
You can't use the air pump idea, you would have to buy more pex pipe wouldn't you? Or do you have enough to make 2 runs to the pond?

/ /windmill water pump #20  
Nasty looking water they have.

The sign said it was an oil company...
If the motor runs on oil, I wonder if they have much of a net gain with that setup. Rube Goldberg works there, I suspect.
I found the sound effects very distracting...it sounded like somebody sawing wood by hand and pausing to crack a whip every few seconds!