Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc.

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #1  

Helitech

Silver Member
Tractor
5220R Branson, 1256 International
Did a little horsetrading for a family owned 485 IH disc. I want a 6 or 7 foot disc to pull behind my 55 hp Branson. Repaired a tractor and gave $400 for the old disc.

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc.
After some quick measurements, I broke it down, most of the work was just unbolting pieces. Did a few trial runs with 2 of the gangs bolted under the center and it worked great! Biggest challenge was moving the wheels inboard a good bit. She's a heavy disc for the size! Ended up with a 7 foot cut with the offset.

As a bonus I still have 2 more gangs to build a heavy offset 3 point disc with.

Couple more pics.

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #5  
Nice job:thumbsup:

About 6 years ago I bought a 14 ft tandem axle wheel disc from my tractor dealer ($600 delivered).
Cut it down to 8 ft. Nice 4 day project.

Wheel disc delivery-2.JPGWheel disc mod-1 (2).JPGWheel disc modify-2.JPGWheel disc modify-3.JPGWheel disc on 5525.JPGWheel disc pintle hitch.JPG

Good luck

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #6  
I think the underlying problem is that the tractor is undersized/underhorse powered for a 14' disc. So, would a solution be to leave the disc width the same, but make shallower depth passes with the tractor, and then make another pass at a deeper depth? I am not questioning anyone's decision, I want to learn. thanks, Carr

No underlying problem. I already have a 14 foot disc and 125 hp tractor to pull it with. I needed a good 7 foot disc for smaller plots, a new one like I want is very expensive! Built on for 1/7 the cost of a new one!

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #8  
Good solution, I'm another that would like to have a good, heavy 7-8' transport disc.

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #9  
For the ground you were working, you don't think the 55hp Branson could have pulled it? Or perhaps only drop down to 10-11' by just removing the outer pans?

Unless you want a small disc for tight areas. I would think the Branson could handle a good bit more than 7'

/ Building 6-7 foot disc from large disc. #10  
He specifically said he wanted 7 foot. Not that he couldn't pull more.