Ideas for building counter weight

/ Ideas for building counter weight #1  

bbradford

Tractor
1993 Ford 1920
Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about needing to get weights to counter a heavy duty bush hog on my tractor. After looking into it, I've decided it would be pretty awesome to build my own setup. I have minimal experience with welding and building things of this nature but I am more than willing to put time into it and learn. So with that being said, I have seen a few things on here where some of you have talked about what you wanted to do or have done it. I figured this would be the best way to find out what yall did!

So what did you do and can you share photos??

thanks!

/ Ideas for building counter weight #2  
What tractor? What size bush hog? Loader or no?

/ Ideas for building counter weight
1993 Ford 1920, its a 5ft bush hog that the previous owner rigged up himself with a heavy duty body made of a stronger steel. When he used the stronger steel it obviously increased the weight of the mower. There is no loader which is why I need the weights. I was going to buy weights to put on the front but have decided to build something myself.
Which is why Im wanting to know who here has made their own ballast for the front of their tractor and how they did it?

/ Ideas for building counter weight #4  
It is pretty tough to beat old tractor weights,,,
which you can buy at some scrap yards,, and some tractor shows.

Here is a pic of 840 pounds of weights that I purchased at a tractor show for less than $140,,,

Weights_zps87ccf0d8.jpg

My old Chevy S-10 was complaining on the 40 mile trip home that day!! :eek:

:laughing:

Dang, less than $140?? I need to go check out some tractor shows then!
and hahaha yeah I can only imagine!!

/ Ideas for building counter weight #6  
021.JPG

I picked up a brake drum off of a semi truck for free, drilled it for bolts and attached it to the front of my tractor. The I put some concrete in it that I had laying around. Total cost was under ten bucks. Before adding this, when going up hill, my front tires wouldn't have enough weight on them to turn. I would just keep going straight regardless of what direction the tires where pointing. This solved that problem.

Thats pretty smart, I might be able to find something like that

/ Ideas for building counter weight #8  
   / Ideas for building counter weight #9  
There was a poster on here recently who has made some brackets to utilize patio pavers for tractor weights. I thought that was a pretty good idea and the pavers are pretty reasonable. You could do it with solid blocks as well.

30 pounds for $1.50
http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4441441496-c-5647.htm?tid=1828138325086086855

A small angle iron frame on the front would be quite simple to fabricate.

That's a good idea but I think you'd need a box. Those pavers are brittle I bet. I few good jars and they'll probably be in pieces.

I've seen many times around here where people make a metal box and mount to the front of the tractor frame to hold big rocks. If you need more weight you add more big rocks.

/ Ideas for building counter weight #10  
That's a good idea but I think you'd need a box. Those pavers are brittle I bet. I few good jars and they'll probably be in pieces.

I've seen many times around here where people make a metal box and mount to the front of the tractor frame to hold big rocks. If you need more weight you add more big rocks.

You'd be surprised what those pavers will stand up to if they have steel in them. They are popular for decking on boat docks where they are only supported on 2 edges. I"ve been amazed at what they will stand up to.

I like the block as they are simple to stack efficiently and look nice but anything of weight could be used form gravel to sand or even scrap metal chunks or logs. Could even build a form and pour your own.