Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!)

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
This post happens to be my 5000th post. When I signed up for this forum I never expected to contribute or post much but the community here, for the most part, is top notch! :drink:

A lot of fellow DIYers and clever thinkers has me checking in regularly and maybe posting too much! :ashamed:

My latest need/want is a paint booth that can be erected and taken down easily, and will shield the rest of my garage/shop from overspray and will provide a easy way to hang/support parts for painting. Ventilation, suspension/support, and any other brilliant thoughts are welcome. Thinking something that will fit in a 6ft by 6ft area would be plenty for my needs. I have a few ideas but... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #2  
Put a grid in the top. Maybe a section of 2x4 or 4x4 cattle panel. Make wire hooks to hang anything, anywhere, any position.

Bruce

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #3  
How about 4 curtains hanging from tracks? Sort of like shower curtains.
Maybe an additional track to hang parts from.
Wet the 'curtains' B4 spraying so that paint wont stick.

If you have an exhaust fan for fumes you might need to weight down the bottoms.

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!)
I like the shower curtain idea. For easy storage, thinking a 4ft by 4ft footprint would be convenient but I want a bigger booth... wait... what if I use collapsable shower curtain rods!

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #5  
I made one from a free metal garden shed... added lights and a old ventilation motor with a furnace filter slot... it worked well in that it keep the bugs and dust at bay and exhausted the fumes.

Can't really buy any of the paints I like to use... mostly Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel with Hardener.

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #6  
I used a professional spray booth at work for many years, best feature was a turntable. It can be metal or wood. I made one using a bar stool ball bearing swivel base, available at the big box stores. Try to find one that turns easily. We used cardboard boxes of various sizes on top of the turntable to fit what we were painting.

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #7  
A lot of people construct portable paint booths using PVC pipe and panting plastic. It's easy to construct, it's cheap, and it can be quickly moved when not in use. A quick Google search should provide some additional information.

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #8  
I ran curtain rods around my wood lathe to help contain chips and dust. The local dollar store had transluscent shower curtains and rods, so it didn't set me back too much. When I'm not using the lathe, I can slide the curtains aside and the viewscape(!) of my basement shop is no longer impeded by them.

/ Help - DIY Paint booth ideas/designs? (5000 posts, crap!) #9  
My latest need/want is a paint booth that can be erected and taken down easily, and will shield the rest of my garage/shop from overspray and will provide a easy way to hang/support parts for painting. Ventilation, suspension/support, and any other brilliant thoughts are welcome. Thinking something that will fit in a 6ft by 6ft area would be plenty for my needs. I have a few ideas but... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

RedNeckGeek constructed a temporary paint booth and had pics on the TBN "Good Morning" thread (a few hundred post back, about a month ago.) You might want to PM him. It looked good. He used his to paint his vehicle, it had ventilation, filters, and lights.