Tall Pintle Hitch

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #1  

Gulfmp

Tractor
Kubota 2370-1, FEL, MMM, Box Scraper, 3Ph Snowblower
I guess I posted this in the wrong place earlier.

I have a military HUMMER trailer, aluminums- so not heavy but the it has a pintle hitch and its fairly tall in height.

I want to be able to bring the trailer up a small grade and store the trailer out back. What kind of hitches are available to do this? Is there a bolt on receiver type hitch that extends up high to accept my pintle receiver or will I have to custom weld something up?

The pintle must end up being about waist height and stiff/fixed so it does not ride up onto me when I come down the hill with it.

Any thoughts?

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #2  
What kind of John Deere do you have? 500lbs or 50,000lbs? :)

Most of the 3pt trailer mover hitches would work. Lift it to the height you want, then run a chain down to your fixed drawbar so it can't go higher. I'm assuming you have a pintle hitch on an insert for pulling the trailer with a truck, etc.

3 point trailer mover - Google Search

Bruce

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #3  
If you're going to pull that trailer loaded with a 3pt mounted receiver up high, make sure you have plenty of weight on the front of your tractor as front-ballast. I've read too much about folks flipping their tractors over with a high center of gravity on the 3pt.

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #4  
You didn't say what you will move it with and we don't know what size tractor you have.

PintleRiser.png

images.jpg

63058_3_500.jpg

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #5  
If you are using a pickup, watch out you don't dent your tailgate on the hitch!

/ Tall Pintle Hitch #6  
I have three of those trailers. I looked into the really tall style pintle mount shown above, but found several cases of people bending them. Plus, that's quite a bit of stress on the receiver. I ended up lowering all three of my trailers, and getting rid of the runflat tires too. In total, they're 5-6" lower, and they tow much better, while still having plenty of clearance.

I put a thread on SteelSoldiers showing how I went about lowering them. It looks like you need to be logged in to see the pictures, but since you own the trailer, and there is tons of other good info there, it's worth registering.

Even with my trailers lowered ~5-6", the pintle height is still really high, at about 28" IIRC. But that's much better than the 33-34" that they were at... I now use a ~4" raised mount to tow them behind my stock height 2500 GM truck, and a straight adapter with the taller truck. Either way, it's much less leverage on the hitch and mount. :)

As an aside, while they are mostly aluminum, these M1101/1102 trailers are not really that light. The old steel M101's were actually lighter. Getting rid of the 37" runflat tires helps a good bit with the weight, and even running a 285/75R16 makes the trailer 2" shorter. Using GM 4wd wheels keeps the outside of the tires in almost the same relationship to the outside of the trailer. (HMMWV wheels have HUGE backspacing, so the axle is too wide to run normal centered trailer wheels)

Good Luck!!