Gooseneck trailer build...

/ Gooseneck trailer build...
Success!! Just back from the DMV, and I have a title and plate on it now! It wasn't very painful, except for them requiring me to actually stamp the VIN into the trailer before they would issue any documents. I bought a set of 1/4" stamps at Harbor Freight and smacked it in right there in their lot. (They no longer provide any sort of VIN sticker at all.)

As soon as I can get some lumber ripped down, I'll be finishing the deck. Hopefully we'll get a streak of warm weather at some point and I can paint the ramps red too. :)

Now on to building a 4pt mount for my backhoe...

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #62  
Congrats!!!!

I always thought those stupid stickers were a joke anyway. Your stencil will be much more durable.

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #64  
Success!! Just back from the DMV, and I have a title and plate on it now! It wasn't very painful, except for them requiring me to actually stamp the VIN into the trailer before they would issue any documents. I bought a set of 1/4" stamps at Harbor Freight and smacked it in right there in their lot. (They no longer provide any sort of VIN sticker at all.)

As soon as I can get some lumber ripped down, I'll be finishing the deck. Hopefully we'll get a streak of warm weather at some point and I can paint the ramps red too. :)

Now on to building a 4pt mount for my backhoe...

Were you able to get a permanent tag?

/ Gooseneck trailer build...
No, NM only allows permanent tags on camper trailers. Plus we're moving to CO next year, and I'm supposed to re-register all my stuff when we do... :(

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #66  
No, NM only allows permanent tags on camper trailers. Plus we're moving to CO next year, and I'm supposed to re-register all my stuff when we do... :(

I have three of them on my work trailers and one boat. I have had all of these over 10 years though. My more recent purchase of a dump trailer was not allowed. I still have about forty years left on the four trailers with permanent tags, don't think I will live that long. I pay NM enough already.

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #67  
I have three of them on my work trailers and one boat. I have had all of these over 10 years though. My more recent purchase of a dump trailer was not allowed. I still have about forty years left on the four trailers with permanent tags, don't think I will live that long. I pay NM enough already.

This year was the first time they were available here. I licensed all 3 of my trailers permanent. I never sell anything.

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #68  
I realize that this is a fairly old thread. I have been lurking on the site for a couple of years but this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows what the distance was the builder of this trailer used between the 10 inch I-beams -- or center to center? I really like many of the things he did and I am getting ready to rework my gooseneck and I think my I-beams are too close together -- twin 7K axles, 31 foot long. Mine are at 50" -- I liked the way his looked but I cannot find measurements for reference.
Thank you,
Doug

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #69  
I think 50" is about standard from all that I have seen. That way, each beam is supporting 25" of floor on EACH side of it (assuming a 100" wide trailer or there abouts).

Dont want to go too wide without heavier cross members. Some loads put alot of weight right in the center of the trailer. Tricycle-front tractors, Lowering a backhoe or excavator boom down, hauling a scissor lift ( which are usually pretty narrow).

I dont think I would want my beams much wider than the ~50" that they are.

/ Gooseneck trailer build... #70  
LD1, thank you for the reply. My concern really is about an article I read about the distance from the spring hanger to the mounting face of the hub/drum/rotor. They were saying (can't quote it or find it right now) but something like not wanting more than 9 inches (???) distance there. I am not sure if that is accurate or why it might be true. If I use the 50 inches (and I agree that is fairly common) then the distance from my spring hanger to the face of the hub could be 22-24 inches. That is my biggest concern -- I might well be worrying about nothing.
Thank you,
Doug