Using a winch as a hoist

/ Using a winch as a hoist #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Does anybody know how to translate a winches line pulling capacity would translate to lifting capacity? I know that most winches are rated for a rolling load which is significantly more (less?) than what it could lift.

/ Using a winch as a hoist #2  
Nope. Also, be prepared for a bunch of comments regarding overhead lifting, safety, etc.... ;)

/ Using a winch as a hoist #3  
Are you sure you want to do that? Make sure what you have that pully hooked to will hold up to winches capacity or you could pull down a rafter. I normally wouldn't have posted this but Moss's comment kind of "made me do it".. : )

But it is true.. make sure you have very good cross beam that the hoist pully is attached to!

I do not know the answer to your question though.

/ Using a winch as a hoist #4  
You are totally overthinking this. Think about this. The winch does not know vertical from horizontal. All it knows is exerting a force. So,,,, if it's an 8,000 winch, that's it's maximum ability, vetical, horizontal, whatever.

/ Using a winch as a hoist
You are totally overthinking this. Think about this. The winch does not know vertical from horizontal. All it knows is exerting a force. So,,,, if it's an 8,000 winch, that's it's maximum ability, vetical, horizontal, whatever.

Not quite. They rate winches for rolling loads which is totally different from lifting a load.

/ Using a winch as a hoist #6  
The only winches I've seen with rolling load ratings are some boat trailer winches. I think that was to give the buyer an indication of how heavy a boat it could load on a trailer with rollers.

Bruce

/ Using a winch as a hoist #7  
Not quite. They rate winches for rolling loads which is totally different from lifting a load.

Nope. Not sure where that even comes from. I currently use 4 winches under extremely difficult situations. When I'm hanging on a vertically steep cliff on-cable I take comfort in knowing the winch doesn't get freaked out about it. :)

/ Using a winch as a hoist #8  
Something to consider is that most overhead winches have a brake to hold the load.

With a boat or ATV winch, when you let go of the "Up" button the spool has nothing stopping it from succumbing to gravity at high speed!

I have tested this for myself in my younger days :shocked:

/ Using a winch as a hoist #9  
Are you a good winch or a bad winch ? Chainfall or come-along if you are in a bind. You need a positive brake and detent.

/ Using a winch as a hoist #10  
^^Correct^^ I run a 2-ton ARO hoist.