Barb Wire Unroller

/ Barb Wire Unroller #1  

boner58

Tractor
JD 4020
Thinking of making a barb wire unrolled for a 3 point hitch. Any one have any ideas? Pictures? Was thinking of taking some heavy square pipe and put 4 discs with 4 upright solid round stock.

/ Barb Wire Unroller #2  
YouTube is the place to see barb wire tools,, you can get lost for over an hour,,,,
they offer great ideas.

I just suffer with a leather glove,,, :confused2:

/ Barb Wire Unroller #4  
I find that if the wire is unrolled horizontally it catches less, and unrolls easier, Just my two cents,

/ Barb Wire Unroller #5  
You going to unroll 4 runs at a time? That may result in a mess of tangled wire. I made one that unrolled either 1 spool of barbed wire OR 1 roll of field fence.
I made multiple passes. I was afraid the wires would be a major tangeled mess. When i unroll electrical wire in multiple runs, i ALWAYS get a mess.

/ Barb Wire Unroller #6  
Custom fencers around here unroll 3-5 spools at a time off of the back of the post pounder. They set them onto vertical bars welded onto a flat plate. The flat plate keeps the wire roll from spinning and tangling up the wires. Horizontal unrolling is just a pain as there is no friction to keep the roll of wire from spinning freely.

/ Barb Wire Unroller #7  
Custom fencers around here unroll 3-5 spools at a time off of the back of the post pounder. They set them onto vertical bars welded onto a flat plate. The flat plate keeps the wire roll from spinning and tangling up the wires. Horizontal unrolling is just a pain as there is no friction to keep the roll of wire from spinning freely.
depends on how you make your roller,

I have a electric fence roller that I use I made a mount for it that will slip into a pocket,(section of receiver hitch) basically a 2" sq tube, and has a pipe and a section of all thread, or redi thread rod throught it, the pipe is the axle and the rod is the keeper, I put the reel on the pipe and then run a washer and two nuts on the 5/8 all thread and snug it a bit, for barbed wire I do the same but I have a secondary spool that I put the barbed wire on, and sung it so it will turn but not spin,
one jsut has to be smarter than the spool of barbed wire,

and I do not know how may rolls of wire I unrolled with two stakes in the stake pockets of the pickup box and a tamper bar across the bed of the pickup, putting a ply wood or a steel disk on the bar helps as the spool does not slide up against the bed and get caught.

/ Barb Wire Unroller #9  
I built one for my 4 wheeler but something like it could be fashioned for 3 pt. Only 1 roll at a time though

Attachments

• SD530751.JPG
    SD530751.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,532
  • SD530755.JPG
    SD530755.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,561
   / Barb Wire Unroller #10  
I just use a tanker bar on the quick hitch. Simple and I also have a couple of disks from my disk harrow to go on the outside of the wire to keep the roll in place. Usually can keep 2 rolls on so I don't have to change out empty rolls as often.