pole shop

/ pole shop #11  
Morton Buildings uses the laminated post built on site. They are one of the top builders of stables so if they use laminated posts there must be something to it. I have had zero issues with mine but it has only been up 7 years.

View attachment 492784

I have a 36' x 48' Morton that is now 32 years old, with solid treated posts planted directly in the ground.
Posts appear to still be in fine condition. If they only last another 18 years (50 total) I'll be 94 years old, and won't give a shitte.

/ pole shop #12  
I had to do a fence recently and went to rough sawn treated 6x6 timbers. The stuff you buy at the big box store is junk IMO. They use the cheapest treatment possible to increase profits.

QNAP is far superior to any water treatment as is penna. The telephone pole companies do not use the cheap water treatments for good reason.

50 year warranty is a joke. Go look at fence post pricing if you want to see which works the best. You will notice that creosote, QNAP, and Penna all brings about double the price of a water based treated post which is what you are likely buying at the lumber yard or big box store. Water based is cheap as are pole buildings. These manufacturers have done everything they can to be the cheapest from laminated posts to 29 gauge steel. Don't kid yourself into believing these are built to last the longest, they are built to be the cheapest.

Last edited:
   / pole shop #14  
I have wondered about the plastic sleeves. I wonder if water can actually get trapped inside. Then I wonder if you could fill the empty sleeve with tar then put in the post to fill in all the space... :confused3:

/ pole shop #15  

The concept seems sound. Wood posts rot out at surface level, where water remains standing. This provides a rubber membrane to keep the post dry. From the website, it looks like they are applying a layer of a tar like material, then wrapping it in rubber, then heating it all up to melt it together. The process and materials seem very similar to how a flat roof is sealed.

Does the rubber wrapped around the post become loose when the post dries out or cracks? Does water get in between the liner, and if so, is it significant to matter?

Do power poles ever rot out? I've seen them replaced because of damage, and because they are in expansive soil that causes them to lean over. But just like treated posts, what percentage of them rot out in less then 50 years?

I've replace more landscape timbers used for fence posts then I can count. In every case, they are the wrong material for a fence, and they always have a low area around the post that holds water. I've also replaced several railroad ties used for fences that rot out right at the surface for the exact same reason. I've never seen an 8 inch round posts or a 6x6 post that was rotted out. I can't think of any 4x4's or 4x6's either, but have replaced them for twisting.

For a pole barn, or any building with a roof over it, this is either a waste of money, or a feel good expense. The slope around the building needs to carry water away from the building. If that is done properly, there will never be a problem with treated posts in the ground.

/ pole shop #16  
Eddie, good comments.

I'd also be concerned about the membrane staying tight against the post. I'm sure they prohibit ground moisture from soaking into the post. But would they prohibit rain water from running down the post and collecting inside the membrane?

As for power poles, they rot off here in Missouri. I'm always on the lookout for poles that have been replaced. the power company leaves them lay. I try to get the ones that are still solid at the bottom. Sometimes they are replaced for natural acts of God such as Wind or Ice damage. But generally they are replaced because of condition. Each pole is numbered. I believe they have a replacement cycle in place. When they start replacing poles on a specific run they'll generally replace the majority of them. I'm assuming they reached their lifespan age?

I agree concerning landscape timbers (untreated) being used as poles. If the project is going to provide shelter from moisture and weather I believe they would work fine. If not, then not so good. I recently had an opportunity to purchase 28 20'x6"x6" untreated timbers for $200. I plan to use them to build a machine shed. I'm considering ideas for treating the bottom end that'll be buried. But think they'll be fine as long as I do the proper landscaping around the building. Any suggests would be appreciated!!!!

/ pole shop #17  
Overize,

One option is to get a pesticide applicators license which around here can be done at the county extension office. Then you can purchase penta which is a great wood preservative. Old timers used 55 gallon drums and just soaked the dry posts in the drum overnight. My neighbor has some that he claims are over 50 years old and still look great. It's probably the most popular treatment for commercial applications like telephone poles in the US.

http://www.wooddoc.org/utils/Penta/Penta_Pole_Brochure.pdf

/ pole shop #18  
Eddie, good comments.

I'd also be concerned about the membrane staying tight against the post. I'm sure they prohibit ground moisture from soaking into the post. But would they prohibit rain water from running down the post and collecting inside the membrane?

As for power poles, they rot off here in Missouri. I'm always on the lookout for poles that have been replaced. the power company leaves them lay. I try to get the ones that are still solid at the bottom. Sometimes they are replaced for natural acts of God such as Wind or Ice damage. But generally they are replaced because of condition. Each pole is numbered. I believe they have a replacement cycle in place. When they start replacing poles on a specific run they'll generally replace the majority of them. I'm assuming they reached their lifespan age?

I agree concerning landscape timbers (untreated) being used as poles. If the project is going to provide shelter from moisture and weather I believe they would work fine. If not, then not so good. I recently had an opportunity to purchase 28 20'x6"x6" untreated timbers for $200. I plan to use them to build a machine shed. I'm considering ideas for treating the bottom end that'll be buried. But think they'll be fine as long as I do the proper landscaping around the building. Any suggests would be appreciated!!!!

So you feel untreated posts will work for a shed how do you feel about using straight pine trees? I have about 15 pines that blew over in front of my house I have been tossing around the idea of using for poles for a wood shed and shed for my diesel tank.

/ pole shop #19  
If I could afford it I would use concrete posts for myself. But there about $150 a piece. You can use a square or laminated post on top of that. The new treatment doesn't last like the older CCA. And not all treated wood is rated for ground contact.

/ pole shop #20  
If you where going to go with concrete posts, why not just drill a hole into the ground, fill it with concrete and put a post bracket on top of the concrete? It would be cheap and easy to do. But of course you lose your sheer strength of a post in the ground, so additional bracing would be needed to compensate. Nothing is going to be faster, cheaper, easier or stronger then just drilling a hole, putting in a treated 6x6 post, and filling the hole.