Welding up a toothbar

/ Welding up a toothbar #21  
I got those teeth in. One of them is defective... doesn't fit on any of the toothbars. I'll try and Dremel it.

Question... did you use a stick welder? I only have a MIG and I'm concerned it will not penetrate enough for a strong weld. Maybe I'll tack them with the MIG and take it to a welder to finish the work.

/ Welding up a toothbar #22  
I got the 72" 9 tooth for my TYM T503 from Titan. I welded it up with a stick welder and wasn't paying attention to how hot I got the flat bar, ended up with a bow. It wasn't a big deal, took a small hydraulic jack and chain to straighten it out. The reason I purchased it was to move and spread about 500 yards of clay dirt mounds. The dirt had been sitting there about 2 yrs and over time I had already spread about 500 yards, so I got this to see if it would help out. What I found was that even though the clay dirt seemed hard on the outside the inside was still soft enough that the dirt wouldn't just break up and that I still had to work the bucket to get a full load. It did seem to help a little and I have no regrets in the purchase, it will get used.

/ Welding up a toothbar #23  
I got the 72" 9 tooth for my TYM T503 from Titan. I welded it up with a stick welder and wasn't paying attention to how hot I got the flat bar, ended up with a bow. It wasn't a big deal, took a small hydraulic jack and chain to straighten it out. The reason I purchased it was to move and spread about 500 yards of clay dirt mounds. The dirt had been sitting there about 2 yrs and over time I had already spread about 500 yards, so I got this to see if it would help out. What I found was that even though the clay dirt seemed hard on the outside the inside was still soft enough that the dirt wouldn't just break up and that I still had to work the bucket to get a full load. It did seem to help a little and I have no regrets in the purchase, it will get
used.

LOL my bar also curved but then a 10 lb sledge installed it OK
I like the bar soo much that I never even attempted to remove it.

/ Welding up a toothbar #24  
I used a big old 240 VAC MIG from the 1980's. These days it only works on the highest settings and feeds. I converted over to flux core a few projects ago and this was yet another practice project for me. I have not run the tooth bar through the ringer yet but I believe I got good penetration (better with flux core?). For the side pieces that bolt to the bucket itself, I pre-dressed bevels and welded both sides, ground the welds almost flush, then put the tooth holders on. I also had problems with heat bending; clamps and hammers convinced the toothbar that it really wanted to be mounted.

/ Welding up a toothbar #25  
Those of you with heat warping, we're you using 1/2" thick flat stock?

/ Welding up a toothbar #29  
The one on the end. I bought bolt on teeth from the local bobcat dealer and welded them on one of my skid steer buckets. Used 5P+ and 7018. I was kind of concerned how they would hold as they were not designed to weld. The other day we were pulling out some old pipe fence made of 2-3/8" oilfield pipe. We cut the top rail on each side of the posts which were set 4' deep in concrete. The first few we used a chain and then I got lazy and just stuck a tooth in the little section of horizontal pipe still on the post and lifted hard. These posts were in the ground so good my 6,000 lb lift skid steer was struggling and I had to wiggle the posts around to get them to break free but the teeth held.

/ Welding up a toothbar #30  
I've got a steel dealer about 4 miles from here so I'll give them a call. For welding, I guess I can MIG but work on each tooth a little at a time to keep the heat down and stack welds after thorough cleaning each. We absolutely need it during the dry season and I'll likely never take them off after they are installed. Thanks!!