Newbie Grapple build Questions

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #1  

koolken

Tractor
John Deere
Hi guys and girls. New here and am amazed at the information thats on here. been looking around and figured this is the perfect place to ask for some pointers. Been playing with solidworks for a few months now and after looking around for ideas on building a grapple i came up the this idea ..so far. Going to make it out of 1/2 plate as im making it for a 90 hp loader..but my biggest question is what angle do i make the back where the quick attach goes to and what effect does having the angle too much or not enough have.. Any ideas what i should change or add is welcomed and appreciated.

Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (6).png

Last edited:
   / Newbie Grapple build Questions #2  
If I'm understanding the question correct the QA plate should be fine welded flat to the back of the tines. The one I built worked OK that way.

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #3  
Tractor loader with "skid steer" QA?
I have both a tractor & SS, the built in mounting angle (from vertical) is less important on a tractor but more so on a SS. With the grapple, "rollback" or carrying angle is not that important as it is with a bucket. IIRC it's about 15* forward from 90* I can measure it and include a few pics of mine. (did that make any sense?)
You want enough angle built in to your mount to allow for a good dump angle with the loader arms raised up high. With a bucket, you want a happy medium to allow a good (low) carry angle & good (high) dump angle. There's only so much range of motion on the machine's mounting. Your drawing looks about right.
Welcome to TBN!

edit; you can always copy the angles on your factory bucket if your happy with that. I like to be able to position the grapple very close to vertical for raking & picking logs, depending on your loaders geometry, a good dumping angle with the arms up may be more than this.

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions
yes you explained it perfectly. will check out angle on my factory bucket. I'm making it for a 244j john deere loader. Thanx alot

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #5  
OP - consider the material thickness. The "nice" grapples use thinner but higher quality steel. All that 1/2" material is going to eat up lift capacity. I use mine to lift heavy rocks and logs so I wanted one that is narrower and lighter. It does have gussets on the teeth though.
Nice design and CAD work! This will be a good project and very rewarding!

I did consider going with 3/8.. unless I leave the outside forks 1/2 and the rest 3/8 or add more holes. I will add gussets to the teeth as well

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #7  
Just realized that you're machine is a wheel loader, stay with the 1/2" and build everything strong including the "lids". You should have plenty of load capacity even with a 1000# bucket.

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #8  
yes you explained it perfectly. will check out angle on my factory bucket. I'm making it for a 244j john deere loader. Thanx alot

Check your factory angle. Then reproduce that. Done properly, your FEL bucket level indicator will also be an asset when using the Grapple. If not, you will have to adjust yourself everytime you switch from the bucket to the Grapple and back. Not pretty. You'll come to hate that......

/ Newbie Grapple build Questions #9  
As to metal thickness.

If you build this from mild steel 1/2" plate you will destroy it. Either have to increase thickness or get stronger metal.

Build strong, build once.

I want to run it on a New Holland L230 skid steer which has 90 hp and on a John deere 244J loader which has 70 hp. I'm thinking 1/2 inch plate would be lots. looking at everything attachments their heavy duty grapple and they used 1/2 so I figured it would be ok.