Multiple drive-shaft transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Multiple drive-shaft transmission #1  

fitterski

Gold Member
Tractor
1987 Cat-426, 1991 Deutz-Dx-6.05, 2019 Husqvarna 2xHP
I'm planing a redo of my snow-blower (see also under hydraulics) and ONE possible Tx resolution would be to place the engine-and-transmission behind the 4x4 vehicle and find a way to pass a single driveshaft right through whatever is in the way between it and the snow-blower in the front. The snow-blower yoke height would depend on the impeller diameter and would likely be between 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 feet. The multiple driveshaft solution I'm addressing here would instead use a 1st driveshaft to get down under the frame and axles, a 2nd to get to the front of the vehicle, and a third to rise back up to the impeller yoke.

The 1st shaft going forward and down from the ackbassword engine/tranny would probably get below the frame at a point forward of the rear axle, the rpm would be in the lower range like 0-1100, torque shoulbe be below 2000 ft-lbs. I have very basic or rather only rudimentary driveline theory in my head, such as the ends of u-joints on both ends of one shaft should be parallel... and that's as far as I get

Any hints welcome :)

/ Multiple drive-shaft transmission #2  
Sounds like a good plan to handle a lot of HP. Any U joint running at much of an angle should be a constant velocity joint unless there's another joint running at the opposite angle to cancel out the rotary vibrations. I'm sure you can find loads of info with a google search.

/ Multiple drive-shaft transmission
Sounds like a good plan to handle a lot of HP. Any U joint running at much of an angle should be a constant velocity joint unless there's another joint running at the opposite angle to cancel out the rotary vibrations. I'm sure you can find loads of info with a google search.

I know very little about cv joints except that they cost a lot! Double Cardans it seems are just as good and cheaper, I do have another learning-curve to deal with. The best option would still be to punch right through just missing the truck/tractor engine on the unoccupied side. I can design the impeller on the right side of the blower so even with a 48" job 28" above ground and a mere 25" inboard would be an acceptable drive-shaft path.

Even with a single drive-shaft two good joints would be needed; anybody know the street prices, say for 2000 ft-lbs @ 3000 rpm?

Thanks, I saved that for ref. Here's one that saw daylight before c-joints I think, can't tell if that's a D6 but I did hear that the fan (on the roof) was for cooling a V-belt gang :)

1960-03-circa-blower-rt-rear-crop.jpg

/ Multiple drive-shaft transmission #8  
I'm planing a redo of my snow-blower (see also under hydraulics) and ONE possible Tx resolution would be to place the engine-and-transmission behind the 4x4 vehicle and find a way to pass a single driveshaft right through whatever is in the way between it and the snow-blower in the front. The snow-blower yoke height would depend on the impeller diameter and would likely be between 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 feet. The multiple driveshaft solution I'm addressing here would instead use a 1st driveshaft to get down under the frame and axles, a 2nd to get to the front of the vehicle, and a third to rise back up to the impeller yoke.

The 1st shaft going forward and down from the ackbassword engine/tranny would probably get below the frame at a point forward of the rear axle, the rpm would be in the lower range like 0-1100, torque shoulbe be below 2000 ft-lbs. I have very basic or rather only rudimentary driveline theory in my head, such as the ends of u-joints on both ends of one shaft should be parallel... and that's as far as I get

Any hints welcome :)

Do you have a picture of what you have now? What are you using to move the blower around with? A standard 4x4 pickup truck? A tractor? Something homemade?

Do you have a picture of what you have now? What are you using to move the blower around with? A standard 4x4 pickup truck? A tractor? Something homemade?

there's a u-tube video link above, I'm not sure how uploads are accounted here and wouldn't wanna run out of space but here's two small ones :D

I may continue using this same platform and/or move everything to a new one; 1-2 years..

shakedown-26jan09-01.jpgdoglegs.jpg

/ Multiple drive-shaft transmission #10  
So you are thinking the new version is going to be too heavy to keep everything together on the blower like you have it now? What if you had large crazy wheels on the blower to help carry the load? They would have to be adjustable for height.

Status
Not open for further replies.