BX25 SnowPlowOMatic

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Well, a new piece of property and some new challenges.
SNOW! ...and how to get rid of the stuff! Well, I have another
crazy idea and hook or crook I am going to do it. I should
have the ability to plow AND use my bucket to move snow
when done, meaning w/ the grapple down I plow, with the grapple
up and the plow totally out of the way I can move snow into tall
piles or move it elsewhere.

You all know about the GrappleOMatic I added. It really works well.
CLICK HERE to see it in action. SO the idea is to mount a 60"
WARN Provantage plow "TO" the grapple so I can "lift" the
plow out of the way and use the bucket to pile snow etc.
For the life of me I can not see why this will not work, and
work well at that...

Here are the parts I will use;

WARN 92100 PROVANTAGE PLOW BASE
WARN 78960 PROVANTAGE PLOW (60")
Custom mounts

I think I can make a couple or "Horns" if you will that
protrude from the grapple and then simply slip the plow base over
said horns w/ a couple of reatainer clips and viola!

410-KHO1ZeL.jpg61jXjeQeqYL._SX355_.jpg61DdYWeHw9L._SX355_.jpgwarn-straight-blade.jpg
I might shorten the tubes, time will tell. Then eventually add
WARNs automatic Plow Pivot so I do not have to leave the seat
to angle the bucket.

It seems like w in win to me. The only reservation I have is
where the very bottom of the grapples pointed ends stop
just inside the bucket. I am concerned w/ the torsional
forces on things. If there is an issue I can simple make a
couple of bolt of receivers for those ends I do believe.

I did remove the tooth bar fwiw.

Any comments?

Last edited:
   / BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #3  
Saw your post in the other thread on this idea also, and almost weighed in over there, but will do it here.

First of all, awesome idea! I've definitely never seen something like this before.

Here's where I suspect you will have problems though. You have a BX25 with a LA240 loader, right? You already have (guessing here, maybe you know) ~80 lbs of toothbar and ~150 lbs of grapple mounted. I'm not sure your loader will even comfortably pick up the bucket if you have all that PLUS a heavy plow hanging 2 feet further in front of the bucket. At the very least, it will nearly max you out. So then, yes, technically you can still use the loader bucket if you tip up the grapple, but will you still be able to lift a full bucket of wet snow? I'm eager to find out. :)

Another consideration might be that if you blast the plow into something immovable, you'll shear the grapple right off the bucket (or tweak it elsewhere), but, that's a solvable problem.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
My replies in all CAPS, not yelling.

snip. You have a BX25 with a LA240 loader, right?

YES
You already have (guessing here, maybe you know) ~80 lbs of toothbar and ~150 lbs of grapple mounted.

TOOTHBAR REMOVED FOR PLOWING
GRAPPLE WEIGHT, I FORGET, BUT I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF OVER 100 LBS FOR ALL PARTS.
WATCH VIDEO TO SEE ME PICKING UP HUGE ROUND, MY ONLY RESERVATION OF CAPACITY
IS THE POWER THE GRAPPLES OWN CYLINDER HAS.

I'm not sure your loader will even comfortably pick up the bucket if you have all that PLUS a heavy plow hanging 2 feet further in front of the bucket.

TIME WILL TELL, I AM BETTING IT WILL, HOW MUCH DOES HEAVY SNOW WEIGH? 1/3 OF WATER? LESS?

At the very least, it will nearly max you out. So then, yes, technically you can still use the loader bucket if you tip up the grapple, but will you still be able to lift a full bucket of wet snow? I'm eager to find out. :)

I AM BETTIN' IT WILL WORK WELL. IF NOT THE PRESSURE GOES UP, STILL STOCK

Another consideration might be that if you blast the plow into something immovable, you'll shear the grapple right off the bucket (or tweak it elsewhere), but, that's a solvable problem.

TRUE FOR MUST ANY PLOW I WOULD ASSUME ANYWHO, LOOKING AT THE MOUNT, IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE EVEN REMOTELY ROBUST AS THE GRAPPLE CLAWS, BUT I TOO HAVE SOME TORSIONAL CONCERNS AT THE TIPS OF THE CLAWS. I "MIGHT" MAKE SOME RECEIVERS AND PIN THE CLAWS DOWN OR...?
I DO NOT WANT TO BUT IF I HAVE TO I WILL. MAYBE A SIMPLE TRAILER HITCH PIN SET UP . I HOPE NOT.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
So I ordered a base, it came and I will be dipped in it. It was a return,
someone raped the hardware package out of it, it was partially assembled,
the hardware box's staple was pulled and resealed w/ duct tape plus plus plus.
The seller on Ebay was a real stand up company. The said there refunding
me all my $, I have since purchased anew and close to get it quicker.

SO I jury rigged some bushing and nuts and bolts just to fit things up and
wow, the tubular plow base frame "just" fits between the claws. SWEET!
The angle you see is very close to the proper angle it is to be mounted at,
and the front to back position is very close to where I would like it as well.
The plow is angled to the right to its max as pictured.

If this works well I will upgrade and get Warn Pro-Pivot system so I need to
leave room for it. (Yes it will add 20 lbs or so deezler :) )

Here is what I have so far. I am open to suggestions on how to mount this.
We must keep in mind it has to be removable. I do not mind a few bits hanging on the claws
if necessary. I have a few ideas. I would love more.

PLOW PIC 1

PLOW PIC 2

PLOW PIC 3

PLOW PIC 4

PLOW PIC 5

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 392
   / BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #6  
You will want the turntable to be as close to level as possible or the trip won't work right. It will be too stiff and bend things, or be too weak and trip all the time.

Aaron Z

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #7  

You should really reconsider not using the FEL if you hit something hard. Remove the FEL and tie the plow to the frame. It is much stronger. And you can use the FEL controls to lift and angle the plow with some added hydraulic cylinders.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #8  
Your Idea may work but don't know how "robust" it will be.Your machine has a small bucket to start and you are filling it up with plow parts and a grapple.I have a thumb on a six ft.bucket and remove it for moving any material;four bolts and not a big job.
Your plow was made for a ATV or Side/Side so not really heavy duty;not saying it won't work but designed for a machine that may weight 1200# and you are heavier.
It looks like the geometry is wrong if you bolt to the bucket and then the thumb,doesn't look like you have enough "swing".You may want to use a chain to lift instead of a hard point.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
You will want the turntable to be as close to level as possible or the trip won't work right. It will be too stiff and bend things, or be too weak and trip all the time.

Aaron Z

Thanx Aaron, I did see that in the instructions, it did not explain why. Thank U .

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
You should really reconsider not using the FEL if you hit something hard. Remove the FEL and tie the plow to the frame. It is much stronger. And you can use the FEL controls to lift and angle the plow with some added hydraulic cylinders.

I considered that. but I want my cake and I want to eat it too, meaning I want
a bucket and a plow. We'll be just using it in areas where I know what is under me.
If I tweek or break things I get to fix it. I will just be gentle, feel things out, see
how she goes, or does not. I am not afraid of failure, having said that the more
I look a things the more I keep saying "WHY NOT!" I have never seen such a rig.
What do you wanna bet, if it works, there will be copies of it soon for sale on
a few different sites. So far I have spent only about $350.00 . A guy could do
this w/o the grapple and affix the mount w/ bolts to the bottom of the bucket too.
Time will tell.