Backhoe control layout

/ Backhoe control layout #1  

LoganWildman

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Does anyone know why backhoe controls are located directly in front of you but excavator controls are located off each arm rest?

I am looking to build a Cadplans 808 backhoe (3pt version of the 821) and have been thinking about setting up the controls like an excavator for greater operator comfort during extended operation. What do you think?

/ Backhoe control layout #2  
I may be way off on this, but I think it is a convenience for the linkage for the valve bank.
On the older excavators, they had what we call wobbly sticks that came from the floor and the linkages went to the rear of the cab to the valve bank. As the excavator has evolved they have put in primary systems that use finger touch systems that in turn operate the main system giving you a much smoother operation. By doing this it just takes some small hoses that run up through the arm rests and makes for much easier operation and less fatigue on the operator.

/ Backhoe control layout #3  
Probably several reasons.
1. Location of the movment levers.
2. They put them to the sides so you can rest your arms.

/ Backhoe control layout #4  
Randall remeber those B&E's and Hien Werners with the 2 long levers for the swing and one for the boom then 2 foot pedals for the bucket and stick or the ones with 4 foot pedals for those 2 functions. Way past my time but i do get to operate the older machines on occasions. I got to run an old Koehring hoe last week for a friend with the wobbly sticks THats and arm killer when you are used to pilot controls. This one when youd swing you could easily let it bind in the control linkages and have to beat on them to make them let go and act right. Fortunatly i was top loadin a Euclid scraper and a n old army dump truck so it was pretty safe bet i couldnt tear much up.

/ Backhoe control layout #5  
I don't claim to know anything about such things,but I talked to the ol' boy next door.He suggested the reasoning is that you have to swing the seat around for the backhoe from the tractor.You wouldn't want the backhoe controls interferring with the operation of the tractor.The excavator,on the other hand,is a single purpose machine.Makes sense to me.

/ Backhoe control layout
I am envisioning having the normal second seat for the 3pt backhoe, and using cadplans split hydraulics, putting a valve bank in front of each arm rest, pilot style.

Don't know if it will work, but I think I will make a mock up using the split valves and see how it works.

/ Backhoe control layout #7  
Bobodu got it partly right. The difference between the two is how stationary the seat is. Sit in a computer chair that spins and compare how it feels to [a] keep the chair solid and twist to watch a boom thats seperate from the station and twist chair and body with arms on rests to watch boom and bucket as on an excavator where boom and operator move together as one. Its easier on the backhoe to dangle your arms in your lap as your shoulders roll from side to side.