6x6 treated posts in ground

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Looking for opinions on the CCA treated posts .06 treated in the ground. My first was already built and the posts were already there. Had no problem other than had to put flashing between the treated band board and metal trim because rain would run under the trim and get between band board and enter building. Another company I checked out was about $7000 more to ad peirs under the posts. Seem a little high. I see pole barns all over and none are falling down. It is just me and putting wood in the ground. The place I would be getting the building built told me that I would not see a problem in my life time but maybe my kids grand kids might but then the building might have other issues because of age but posts are very good and bought for the purpose of pole barns. Also I would be adding gutters for extra protection.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #2  
If they are good quality and treated well, I wouldn't worry about it. You can avoid the most common issues by keeping roof rain runoff away from the base of the building (overhang and/or gutters) and grade the land away from the building.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #3  
In general, wood shouldn't contact the ground- houses and commercial buildings prove this. The question is, is it worth a few grand more to use the concrete piers or footings. I've seen pole bars with rotten posts after 10 years and others that are fine at 50+ years. It all depends on soil, moisture, bugs, treatment quality and post quality.

My opinion is a building is only as good as the foundation. It's not the place I'd try and save money.
But I don't buy cheap tools or drive on bald tires so maybe I'm the crazy one!

Ask the company that is telling you the posts will last generations to provide a written warranty. It would be interesting to see what the contractor and post manufacture actually would guarantee.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #5  
How many mail box post you see in the ground made from 4" X 4" treated post? They are exposed to the elements for a very long time before you ever see failure. If you can keep the water away I wouldn't worry with it one bit on a 6" X 6". Concrete them in for even more protection. We use old power poles on all our sheds and never have an issue.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #6  
I've had pressure treated 4 x 4 fence posts rot off here in about 12 years, but it's very wet here. I think it helps a lot to use crushed rock for fill around the posts instead of dirt, but I don't have any numerical data. Maybe you can google some data on it.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #7  
My four stall carport has treated 4" x 4" posts with direct ground burial. That's 12 - 4x4's and for whatever reason, one of them had to be replaced four years ago. They have all been in the ground 33 years - the remaining eleven are still solid as a rock. I use several gooey 8" x 8" rail road ties on my fence line and if anything over the 34 years they have been in the ground - they have gotten harder and stronger. They will still be standing long after the barbed wire is dust.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #8  
4x4's and 6x6's usually have different pressure treating done to them. You want structural pressure treating .60 or above - 4x4 are not .60 unless you order them

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #9  
Don't know that I'd lose a lot of sleep over it, I build decks for living and I can't really think of any times I've run across rotted 6x6s I've seen plenty of rotted 4x4, cedar in particular. I'd say if things are graded well and gutters are maintained you'll be alright but here's an alternative that might be of interest if you're looking to go belt and suspenders Sizes & Literature

One other thing to note is that in the last year or so all the pressure treated lumber I've been getting has been rated for ground contact, even deck boards.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #10  
The only place the post will rot is at ground level. The buried portion won't rot. The portion above ground moisture won't rot. So, if you protect the ground level area from moisture you'll be fine.

I reread your post and still not sure what you are doing with the posts in question?