Bronze'd Draw bar

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #1  

iointerrupt

Finished product first:

1-Drawbar-Finished.JPG

I recently finished building a 2-ton dump trailer for my tractor, and I needed a slightly longer drawbar for it. I had also noticed that the trailer was smearing the steel of the drawbar I was using, after just a few outings.

Looking to kill two birds with one stone, I figured I'd try making a silicon bronze'd drawbar. The bronze will wear faster than steel, but I prefer wear out a drawbar than a trailer tongue.

I had a piece of scrap 1" thick, 2" wide steel to base the new drawbar off of. Here it is after TIG brazing the first layer of silicon bronze:

2-Drawbar-Filler.jpg

After the first pass, I ran it through the mill to knock off the high spots, then did a 2nd build up pass. After the second pass, total build up was about 0.220" thick. From there is was milled down till it cleaned up, leaving about 0.150".

Here it is after final milling and a pass through the belt grinder to make it look pretty:

3-Drawbar-Milled.JPG

Rest of the work was just finishing up adapting it to the 2" receiver size that I use on my equipment. A 2" square tube had a .25" end plate welded to it. Then a 1" slot was milled through all that to insert the 1" drawbar bit. Finally a couple of TIG welding passes around the outside, and some stick welding passes around the inside (cause who doesn't like using all the welders on a single project):

4-Drawbar-Welded.JPG

For an evenings effort, I'm pretty happy with it. I'll admit I haven't tried it out yet, but for now it sure looks pretty sitting on the work bench.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #2  
Nice work!

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #3  
The bronze will wear faster than steel, but I prefer wear out a drawbar than a trailer tongue.

To bad you dont have the welding skill to resurface it & re-machine it when that happens.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #4  
Finished product first:

I had also noticed that the trailer was smearing the steel of the drawbar I was using, after just a few outings.

I don't understand what you mean here? "smearing the steel". My obviously uneducated visualization, certainly doesn't match what you are trying to impart.

Given that bronze is quite a bit softer, as I understand it, and as you say, it will wear faster, why won't it 'smear'?

I looked it up, and an still not sure I understand it. Is it 'surface damage' similar to a skin 'stretch mark'?

Material Smear

Regardless, that work is impressive. I didn't even know it was 'possible'. Thanks for sharing

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #5  
I don't understand what you mean here? "smearing the steel". My obviously uneducated visualization, certainly doesn't match what you are trying to impart.

Given that bronze is quite a bit softer, as I understand it, and as you say, it will wear faster, why won't it 'smear'?

I looked it up, and an still not sure I understand it. Is it 'surface damage' similar to a skin 'stretch mark'?

Material Smear

Regardless, that work is impressive. I didn't even know it was 'possible'. Thanks for sharing

I'm just going to guess, but I believe that bronze is "self lubricating", and as such, won't smear like the steel will? (Think bronze bushings)

That's my guess, anyway.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #6  
Nice hitch! 2 tons is only 4,000 lbs. Sounds like you may have a little to much tongue weight if it's wearing after a few outings. If it continues to wear, put a 2 5/16" ball coupler on the trailer and lube it with grease.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #7  
If the steel was "smearing" what will keep the bronze, which is softer, from smearing? I don't get it. Bronze is not self lubricating. I've seen plenty of bushings galled by lack of lubrication. Perhaps there's too much stress on the linkage.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #8  
I took the "smearing" as wearing away of the drawbar surface around the pin area?

This might be caused by the dump trailer only having one axle? So the weight is balanced on the tongue/drawbar?

If my assumptions are correct, this wearing will continue. I've saw this type of stress on tractor drawbars pulling large ground engagement tools causing severe wear and subsequent replacement of the drawbar.

/ Bronze'd Draw bar #9  
I think his point is to wear out the drawbar without putting any wear on the tongue. I suspect the drawbar wont last long, but it should be a quick fix, just add more bronze.