Cold cut saw

/ Cold cut saw #1  

Whatswrong

Gold Member
Tractor
B434 ,V 700 and 1086
Have thought often about building a cold cut saw ,has anyone done this ?

/ Cold cut saw #2  
Don't know about building one, but from a production standpoint they can cut a lot of material faster and cleaner that anything else, especially if you're cutting a lot of the same length. One really nice feature is how easy it is to dial in angle cuts, and the turntable and scale would be pretty difficult to come up with from scratch.

/ Cold cut saw #3  
I have seen cold cut saws adapted from Craftsman radial arm saws. I think this makes for a good platform to start. Multiple and compound angle cuts possible, along with the ability to make extra long cuts a normal cold saw cant do. I almost built one, but I couldnt satisfy my concerns about safety, so I donated my radial saw to a benefit auction to get rid of the temptation. I think Youtube has some videos of a converted saw, you might want to do a search.

/ Cold cut saw #4  
I really thought you were talking about a meat slicer!!!!

/ Cold cut saw #5  
I converted an old DeWalt radial arm saw to metal cutting, the thread title is Metal Cutting Saw. It worked as planned but was not as versatile as I hoped and took up a lot of space. In the end I dismantled it and replaced with a Makita cordless metal cutting saw. See photo below. It is not very expensive, extremely versatile and takes up very little space.

I also made a table for a DeWalt handheld bandsaw. I use that just about every day for something or other. The thread title is Band Saw Table.

Several companies make metal cutting saws that work similar to an abrasive chop saw but are much quieter and make a nicer cut. They cost $400-$500. I have a 12" Makita metal cutting saw that is excellent. It would be a complicated DIY job to make one comparable from scratch. I would not attempt that.

Attachments

• makitametalsaw.jpg
    makitametalsaw.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 269
   / Cold cut saw #6  
Have thought often about building a cold cut saw ,has anyone done this ?

Industrial? How big? Three phase?

automatic-cold-saw-cs475av.jpg

I bought a 14" from a local welding supply store.

Was amazed by the way it cuts metal. :thumbsup:

19772-R 550.jpg

P4130011.JPG

/ Cold cut saw #7  
That Alfra looks like it shares a lot of components with the 14" abrasive saws that you see everywhere. It has a motor that runs about a third the rpm of the burners and of course has a very expensive blade.
Cold saws can be a little messy, the coolant has a tendency to migrate along the material and get inside tubular items, so keeping an immaculate work area with one would be impossible. The blades do stay sharp for a long time with reasonable care, and can be resharpened. They are quite brittle and can be broken easily if the material isn't firmly clamped down or if you slide something into it. I've got several blade chunks that I brought home to use for tooling.
Brobo makes a very impressive saw.

/ Cold cut saw #8  
There's 2 different types of saw's being talked about here. Dan is talking about a true "cold saw" that turns at about 90 rpm and requires coolant. And the carbide, 2500 (approx) rpm "dry" saw .

/ Cold cut saw #9  
There's 2 different types of saw's being talked about here. Dan is talking about a true "cold saw" that turns at about 90 rpm and requires coolant. And the carbide, 2500 (approx) rpm "dry" saw .
Yep thanks for the clarification. I for one, am interested in a dry cutting saw as a replacement for my Dewalt 14in abrasive cut off chopsaw. It just doesn't like angled cuts. I go to my local welding supply for metal and they do any perpendicular chop cut for a buck! I don't have the floor space for a fancy horizontal fluid cooled bandsaw anyways. I do have my eye on this saw...

Evolution Power Tools RAGE2 Multi Purpose Cutting Chop Saw, 14-Inch - Power Circular Saws - Amazon.com

/ Cold cut saw #10  
Yep thanks for the clarification. I for one, am interested in a dry cutting saw as a replacement for my Dewalt 14in abrasive cut off chopsaw. It just doesn't like angled cuts. I go to my local welding supply for metal and they do any perpendicular chop cut for a buck! I don't have the floor space for a fancy horizontal fluid cooled bandsaw anyways. I do have my eye on this saw...

Evolution Power Tools RAGE2 Multi Purpose Cutting Chop Saw, 14-Inch - Power Circular Saws - Amazon.com

Mark. I clicked on your link and this is what came up:

IMG_1678.JPG

Check out the "shipping and import fees". AND it would still have to be converted to Canadian dollars. :D

Terry