Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges)

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Does anyone have experience with self-closing gates? Want gravity to close it, overcome friction etc. I might have to let the wind blow thru it. If you know of one can you measure the angle for me?

Here's how I envision it, but there are probably several ways. I know you can do it with a guy-wire coming down at an angle (from a longer post).

THX!

500266d1488311369-self-closing-gravity-gate-angled-self-closing-gate-jpg

Attachments

• self-closing-gate.jpg
    self-closing-gate.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,010
   / Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #2  
I have a 12ft tubular gate set up to have gravity keep it open when unlatched. The hinges are about 30 inches apart and out of alignment only a small amount. Maybe less than 1/4 inch. It works very well.

Bruce

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #3  
I have done something similar by making hinges from a piece of steel tube cut at an angle with a pin through the center, but nothing that big. A steeper angle makes the hinge more likely to close (and stay closed) but also more difficult to open. A 45 degree cut is a good starting point to experiment and thicker wall tubing works better.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #4  
This is a clever solution. The hinges are angled so gravity pulling downward closes the gate.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges)
So just 1/4" on 30" works? OK I'll start small! Thanks.

I've seen the 45* cut method before but didn't think of it being able to close a 10 ft gate. Buy anyway the bigger hinge pin provides more closing power. I think I'll use that in addition to my hinge angle, like the final detent to hold the two gate halves aligned together. If theres a way to adjust it, would be a nice addition.

Great video, thanks. I forgot to search youtube.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #6  
The hinges cut on angle is how walk in coolers and freezers work and have been used for many years. But their doors are only about 30 in usually but heavy

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #7  
This is a clever solution. The hinges are angled so gravity pulling downward closes the gate.

In my employer's building all of the stairwells have self closing gates on the 1st level leading to the basement. That's so you know you're on the 1st floor if you're trying to leave the building in a fire. I'll try to get a picture.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #8  
In my employer's building all of the stairwells have self closing gates on the 1st level leading to the basement. That's so you know you're on the 1st floor if you're trying to leave the building in a fire. I'll try to get a picture.

Ahh. I went and looked. They're just spring loaded hinges on 36" gates. Nothing special.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #9  
One thing to consider on self closing gates is will the gate be heavy enough to crush you or a small kid if someone isn't paying attention. I know these gates in our stairwells close very gently, but I've gotten my finger in there before and it hurt pretty bad.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges)
I'm making this gate to be lightweight as possible. It just signifies that it's a "private drive" not a security gate. It should just "appear" locked from afar.

I think the way to go might be..... The 45* angled pipes method used as a detent. Not using the entire 45* so the 45* only comes into play at "almost closed". Where the hinge line being adjustable for the "closing speed". Then I can simply adjust like Bruce's if I want it to hold open. Or move the the hinge line the other way if I want it to swing closed.

500376d1488383759-self-closing-gravity-gate-angled-gate45-jpg

Have to figure out ow to allow for all the "adjustments". There's hinge line angle and then the detent closed position where the two gates meet up.

I know some of you fellers are going to ask "where I'm gonna find a grease fitting that big...?"
eBay, you can find ANYTHING on eBay.:D

Attachments

• gate45.jpg
    gate45.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3,307