thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #1  

SCWOOD

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800 Kioti CK2510H
What is the thickest square tube that would fit a receiver hitch (please don't say solid). This will be used on a subsoiler on the back of my counter weight.I tried a piece of 11ga. I got from work and it bent.Need thicker wall tubing.Will 2x2 1/4" fit in the receiver? Thanks for the help. 100_9667.JPG

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #2  
Isn't tubing sized by the OD (outer dimension)? 2x2x1/4 or 2x2x3/8 or 2x2x1/8 are all 2x2 on the outside....Or am i missing something here?

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #3  
Isn't tubing sized by the OD (outer dimension)? 2x2x1/4 or 2x2x3/8 or 2x2x1/8 are all 2x2 on the outside....Or am i missing something here?

That's how it is in Missouri. :D

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch
The thicker the wall, it looks like the outside corners are more rounded. I don't work with a lot of structural square tubing.Want to get help from someone that does.I may be missing something too, That is why I asked!

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #5  
I've built several. Usually use 1/4" wall.

Where a problem appears is if you try to use normal square tubing to make the female part.

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #6  
I built a hitch for my truck and used 2x2x1/4".

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #7  
Why not use solid bar stock?
I have trailer hitches made from it & they work fine.

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #8  
Yup, any 2x2 square tube will fit in a receiver hitch, as square tube is on the outside dimensions, not the inside like Pipe.

In 2x2, it appears 1/4" wall is the thickest offered.

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch
Why not use solid bar stock?
I have trailer hitches made from it & they work fine.
I did make one from solid for a truck (what we had on hand at the shop)I was trying to cut down on the smart a** comments.I wanted to make sure the 2x2 1/4" would the best with the receiver. Thanks for the help!

/ thickest 2x2 square tube to fit receiver hitch #10  
Why do you want hollow tubing instead of solid on a subsoiler? Just asking.