New steel framed workshop

/ New steel framed workshop #1  

Billyboy67

Tractor
none
I am planning a self build steel framed building in SE Idaho, Length 45 feet x 29 feet wide x 16 feet to eaves with a 3/12 slope to the central apex. The front gable will have a 14 feet x 14 feet roller door. The primary structure will have 4 frames at 15 feet centres made from W10 x 17lb wide flange steel beams with 6 inch x 2 ス inch x 14 gauge full length purlins spaced at an O.C. of 42 inch all with rod bracing on the walls and roof. We plan to use 26 Gauge PBR panel. Do any of you guys think we should up the purlins to 12G or the PBR panel to 24 or 22G?-- We plan to have a 12 feet wide garage alongside this workshop as a lean-to arrangement with a stepped down roof but still at a 3/12 taper Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Bill

/ New steel framed workshop #2  
A year and a half ago I put up a 40' X 60' x 12' red iron building.
It came with certified, engineered drawings and a 130 mph wind load rating.
I don't know what kind of codes you have but it might matter.
Just the building parts, factory cut, formed, fitted, jig welded and delivered was $17,000. Have you figured the cost of material?

Attachments

• DSCN0752.JPG
    DSCN0752.JPG
    820.3 KB · Views: 205
   / New steel framed workshop #3  
Sounds like some serious overkill compared to the 30x50' I put up 15 years ago. It has one center fabricated I-beam arch in the center and C channel endwall frames. Girts were 14 ga and purlins were 12 ga if memory serves. I used 26 ga PBR panels. The plan is to add another 20' to the end of it this year. My building was a package. The add
on will just be built using the original plans as a guide and the materials purchased through a local building center. You might want to look at a few commercial buildings and look at their frame work.

/ New steel framed workshop
A year and a half ago I put up a 40' X 60' x 12' red iron building.
It came with certified, engineered drawings and a 130 mph wind load rating.
I don't know what kind of codes you have but it might matter.
Just the building parts, factory cut, formed, fitted, jig welded and delivered was $17,000. Have you figured the cost of material?

Yes we have compiled a full list of required parts.
I should say that I am an ex Plant Engineer from a major US steel framed manufacturer so I know the product very well but I am not a design engineer, thus I have intentionally gone for an element of over design, but excluding doors we are still on a cost build up of $12K
Thanks for your input
Bill

Sounds like some serious overkill compared to the 30x50' I put up 15 years ago. It has one center fabricated I-beam arch in the center and C channel endwall frames. Girts were 14 ga and purlins were 12 ga if memory serves. I used 26 ga PBR panels. The plan is to add another 20' to the end of it this year. My building was a package. The add
on will just be built using the original plans as a guide and the materials purchased through a local building center. You might want to look at a few commercial buildings and look at their frame work.
Thanks for your reply
Can you tell me what your centers of the purlins and girts are?
All the best with your addition
Bill

/ New steel framed workshop #6  
That, to me, would be part of the design engineering and differs from one location to another. Everything from soil load to wind and snow load need to be considered. Not that there may be some engineers here but why ask a bunch of farmers to design your building? :duh: There may be local or state codes that need to be considered too. I would hate to see you have to disassemble a building because it didn't meet code. If you can't afford the building, build one you can afford. :stirthepot:

/ New steel framed workshop #7  
Thanks for your reply
Can you tell me what your centers of the purlins and girts are?
All the best with your addition
Bill
Mine has 14' walls. The girts are 3'6"-4'9"and 5'9" centers working from the ground up. The purlins are 4'9"-5'1"-4'7". The two purlins at the peak are 2' apart and are tied together in 6 places. Roof pitch is 4:12. The roof purlins are 8x2.5 12 ga. Zees and the girts are 8x2.5 16 ga. Zees. The end walls have 4 8x3.5 12 ga. C channel "posts" and the rafters are of the same material. It is cable braced in an X in the outer bays 2 high on both end walls and one whole half of the roof is X cable braced in 4 Xs. I would think our areas would have similar wind and snow loads. I have no concerns with the strength or construction of this building.

CCWKen has a point with the building code comment. If you have to get a building permit, you will probably have to have an approved set of plans that meet UBC or some other code. That wasn't a concern for this location but my building does meet UBC code for this area.

Mine has 14' walls. The girts are 3'6"-4'9"and 5'9" centers working from the ground up. The purlins are 4'9"-5'1"-4'7". The two purlins at the peak are 2' apart and are tied together in 6 places. Roof pitch is 4:12. The roof purlins are 8x2.5 12 ga. Zees and the girts are 8x2.5 16 ga. Zees. The end walls have 4 8x3.5 12 ga. C channel "posts" and the rafters are of the same material. It is cable braced in an X in the outer bays 2 high on both end walls and one whole half of the roof is X cable braced in 4 Xs. I would think our areas would have similar wind and snow loads. I have no concerns with the strength or construction of this building.

CCWKen has a point with the building code comment. If you have to get a building permit, you will probably have to have an approved set of plans that meet UBC or some other code. That wasn't a concern for this location but my building does meet UBC code for this area.

I greatly appreciate your reply with that excellent information. We are now in the process of having our plans fully checked and certified in accordance with UBC and other local requirements.
Many thanks
Bill