Band saw for basic fab work - this one?

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one? #61  
Jet still sells pretty much my saw,,,

Jet 414468 HBS-916W, 9" x 16" Horizontal Bandsaw – Jet Tool Store

The controls are identical, the blade size is identical.

The head descent is hydraulically controlled,, the descent speed is pretty constant
Yes it varies,, maybe 2-1 for big steel,, but never 10 minutes for anything I have ever cut.
I ran that saw daily for over a decade,,, we cut a LOT of steel.

My red bike is a Polaris,,,

ATV3_zps4752acaf.jpg

Nice ride, :) But I was also talking about BigBlue's red bike.

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one? #62  
The hydraulic descent control is a very nice feature. You can control the descent speed very precisely. It is one of the best features of my little saw.

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one?
Nice ride, :) But I was also talking about BigBlue's red bike.

That is a 2008 Honda CBR1000RR. I actually just sold it because I hadn't been riding it enough in the past year or two. Want to get a dual-sport bike to explore some backroads and maybe take to the mountains out west. But then I found a nice JD 2520 that I wanted...

IMG_1889-L.jpg

Rob

Last edited:
So I was able to score the Grizzly 7x12" model on CL that I was looking at. It has seen a fair amount of use but he fired it up and ran through everything and it worked well so I went with it. It will take some good cleaning to get rid of years of grime, but I think I have a gem under the mess. For the amount I'll use it I think it will be awesome for me. It has the coolant pump, can be horizontal or vertical, included a nice stand to elevate it to a good height, came with some spare blades, plus the guy (who runs a small fab shop) let me take a bunch of his scrap odds and ends metal for projects and welding practice. Bonus!

g0561-2e27c4e59fba0c6b6c6653ee44f1282a.jpg

Rob

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one? #65  
Nice score, Rob. How much was it, if you don't mind my asking?

Nice score, Rob. How much was it, if you don't mind my asking?

$375. A bit more than my original budget but for a $900 (new cost) unit, plus the extras, I think it was a good deal for me.

Rob

Here's what the one I picked up looks like after removing the first and thickest layer of grime.

GrizzlyBandSaw1.jpg

Took a couple pounds of metal shavings out of the drip tray. Did not clean that nicely yet. This will take some time.

Rob

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one? #68  
I think you got your moneys worth..

/ Band saw for basic fab work - this one? #69  
I think you got your moneys worth..
Heck yeah... it seems that tools on CL around here are always way overpriced. To the point I don't even want to start bickering with the seller.

Heck yeah... it seems that tools on CL around here are always way overpriced. To the point I don't even want to start bickering with the seller.

I've found some really good deals on CL in my area over the years. Knowing what you want and details about products really helps weed out the gems from the crap. Sometimes people either don't know what they really have or just want to get rid of something quick and easy and you can get a great deal. Last summer I found a 45 ton hydraulic press that was basically like new because some guy used it in his basement for his retirement business to form plastic pieces of some type of case. It was probably WAY overkill for what he did with it. Worth $1600+ new and, like I said, it was basically in brand new condition. He had already depreciated it through his business. He was just happy to find someone who would come help him disassemble it and get it out of his basement that he let it go for $250. Now I have a nice little investment sitting in the corner of my shop! :)

Rob