Cutting down a back blade - good idea?

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a 6ft Rankin back blade that I pull behind my BX. It's a bit like the tail wagging the dog. I picked it up cheap knowing it was too big but it still works okay especially on wide open flat ground if I don't bite too hard. Now that I have a plasma cutter I am thinking I should cut 6in off each end. Reason is I have a small road or more like a large path cut into the side hill to traverse down to the lower part of my property and the blade sticks out so far to the side (especially if it is offset) that it often hits the bank on the upside of the path. Any reason not to take my plasma to it? I think it will be more suited to my size tractor as well.

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #2  
Sounds like a good plan to me

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #3  
No reason at all not to modify the back blade to suit your needs. And using a plasma cutter is an excellent way to cut the blade. :thumbsup:

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #4  
Have to agree - shouldn't hurt a thing.

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea?
That's what I'm thinking but always nice to get a bunch of second opinions! This is moving up on my to-do list now that I can make relatively quick work of it. This will be fun! First I need to chop up my 20 year old Coleman hot tub. Thinking a chainsaw for that! Probably ought to do a video of the potential debacle.

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #6  
Not sure what you are using for eye protection with the plasma but I found a #5 lens seems to work the best for me. Tried a #9 and couldn't tell what was going on. Seems with a #5 I can see my soapstone lines and it is not too bright.

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #7  
I cut mine down with a Sawsall . Until I got to the hardened edge. Had to switch to an angle grinder with cut off wheel for that part.

Not sure what you are using for eye protection with the plasma but I found a #5 lens seems to work the best for me. Tried a #9 and couldn't tell what was going on. Seems with a #5 I can see my soapstone lines and it is not too bright.
I bought a cheap pair of 'over the glasses' grinding glasses and I think they are #5 but they don't fit as they stick out too much and want to fall off. I think I am going to scour Amazon tonight and see if there is a more face fitting version with cheaters built in.

/ Cutting down a back blade - good idea? #9  
Just check where your attaching bolts for the cutting edge are before you start.

Just check where your attaching bolts for the cutting edge are before you start.
True... the 6in was a swag. I will split the difference on the bolt spacing and draw a line. Other than farting around on some flat stock, this will be the first use of my plasma on something 'real' and not 'lab conditions'.