JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN!

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
My Ford 6000 is named after my ex wife because it shares the qualities of being loud, aggressive and unpredictable.

I was adjusting one of the tire chains and because one shackle was under the tire, I decided to move the machine forward a foot or so. A supplementary starter switch next to the fuel pump makes it easier to prime the diesel pump and push the start button - works every time. Only one problem - it starts in gear and I lacked the brains to check first. The ground underneath slopes up slightly, so all is well with tractor in its usual position under the shed roof but several feet forward the cab catches on a rafter - thus demolishing the shed completely before I could stop the engine.

I finally got under the wreckage and started up again to back the machine out but, as noted, not being strong on brains failed to consider what might now be trapped under a wheel. You guessed it - a serious steel plate now standing vertically that went right through the side wall.

Scouring the Eastern states of Australia for a used (can't afford or justify a new 23.1.26 Ag tire at $1400 each) is like searching for Rocking Horse sh#t in a desert. Meanwhile. getting the wheel off and into a trailer to take to town is not for the faint-of heart but some tugging with a 4WD, innovative use of beams, jacks, chain-blocks etc gets there in the end.

Once another tire is fitted, the procedure must be reversed (well, not all of it I hope). A second tractor with a jib will do but if any forum members in the military with access to a helicopter here is OZ, please let me know.

Alan

Attachments

• rear_wheel_off.JPG
    rear_wheel_off.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 706
  • wheel_in_trailer.JPG
    wheel_in_trailer.JPG
    627.7 KB · Views: 574
   / JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #2  
Alan, very sorry that Janice is still with you in spirit. Have you thought of Exorcism?

I've been south of the equator, seen toilet water spin the other way, woke up on the first morning very disoriented as to "why is the moon there". I do have a question...

Do directional treads work different south of the equator?

-R

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #3  
Dam - that's one big bruiser. I guess it could have been worse - it could be filled with something like rimguard. No need to remind but - just be very careful.

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #4  
Looking at your jack/wood block I would guess you are planning another major incident!
Get some wheel chocks under the other wheel before you really get hurt!
Sorry, I used to supervise 15 mechanics working on semis and had to keep an eye on things like that.

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #5  
Wait, shouldn't the thread be named: Sheila the tractor strikes again?!
I mean you ARE down under, right, mate?!
And is the propane tank in the cart just in case you need to set fire to something on your way to/fro the tire shoppe?
Do try to not get seriously hurt for the rest of this project! So where's the new shed going to go?
You know having a few beers is OK, but try to hold back 'till after the wheel is securely bolted to the tractor and the day is OVER before adding 'brain fluid' to the equation! :licking:

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN!
I actually posed this thread as a bit of a joke so why not continue in the same vein!

"Downunder" meaning in OZ Shielas are generic, well most of them anyway, though these days it pays to be pretty careful it is not some bloke in drag you are wording up. Exorcism does not always work nor does burying the protagonist at the crossroads with a stake though its heart - no heart. Fortunately. these issues do not generally apply to tractors, because we actually live upside down and gravity and therefore things like tread direction no longer apply.

On the issue of safety, I am not quite as stupid as indicated. A more careful look at the picture will show a very solid axle stand next to the jack. As for the LPG container, not sure I understand the problem because I have been transporting cylinders like that one in a trailer for over 30 years and no-one, even the fuzz have ever commented, let alone complained. How else do I get them to town to refill them?

Re the shed, that is a good question. The possible locations for a complete rebuild are a bit limited and/or far more expensive than rebuilding the one destroyed that is nothing more than a sort of annexe attached to the main work shed, The original clearance between the ground and the roof was minimal and as noted before, the former sloped up away from the entry. It is not possible to raise the roof or it will not drain, but it IS certainly feasible to lower the ground level and that will be done before rebuilding the structure. Once the tractor tire has been fixed. it will just be a case of using the front (dozer) blade, then the rear scraper blade to drop the level by about 6" - more than enough to overcome any chance of hitting the roof again

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #7  
I've been south of the equator, seen toilet water spin the other way, woke up on the first morning very disoriented as to "why is the moon there". I do have a question...

Do directional treads work different south of the equator?

-R

Do the typhoons turn opposite of hurricanes? I was on Okinawa (navy) for 18 months and that just happened to be a season of unusually large and very frequent typhoons. Many more than usual. I never did go out in one to see if it was turning backwards...:D

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #8  
That or Mel Gibson lowers the jack (and car) onto your chest to make an inquiry.

Anyway, sounds like just revenge for naming the tractor after your EX.

/ JANICE THE TRACTOR STRIKES AGAIN! #9  
Do the typhoons turn opposite of hurricanes? I was on Okinawa (navy) for 18 months and that just happened to be a season of unusually large and very frequent typhoons. Many more than usual. I never did go out in one to see if it was turning backwards...:D
Okinawa is 26degN so you weren't upside down anyways :laughing: