Backhoe Ripper

/ Backhoe Ripper #21  
Thanks.....Cant wait to see your's when your finnished. Also wouldn't mind some nice close up shots of that quick change if you could be so kind.
between youtube and bx's website theres plenty of pic already but if you want a special angle or measurement no prob.

/ Backhoe Ripper #22  
That's a great looking ripper.

I've been digging on a 5 acre clear cut for a little while. I would love to try a ripper but time and money to acquire one for my size hoe isn't in the cards. I would be a little apprehensive about the stress a ripper might put on the machine. One thing I have learned about digging out stumps is to dig them out and not try to pull them out. Trying to pull stumps is a great way to blow seals and hoses or bend something. Hoes are made for digging and when I dig enough the stump will eventually fall over on it's side. I might have a hole big enough the hoe could be buried in it but I won't tear up my machine getting there. I did install the pointed tiger style teeth on my bucket and that helps rip some roots and separate them to get the impacted dirt out. I will stick the teeth in between roots and curl the bucket over and over till most or all the dirt is out before I pull the stump out of the hole. Often times when I'm getting the dirt out of the roots I will end up splitting the stump.

/ Backhoe Ripper #23  
That's a great looking ripper.

I've been digging on a 5 acre clear cut for a little while. I would love to try a ripper but time and money to acquire one for my size hoe isn't in the cards. I would be a little apprehensive about the stress a ripper might put on the machine. One thing I have learned about digging out stumps is to dig them out and not try to pull them out. Trying to pull stumps is a great way to blow seals and hoses or bend something. Hoes are made for digging and when I dig enough the stump will eventually fall over on it's side. I might have a hole big enough the hoe could be buried in it but I won't tear up my machine getting there. I did install the pointed tiger style teeth on my bucket and that helps rip some roots and separate them to get the impacted dirt out. I will stick the teeth in between roots and curl the bucket over and over till most or all the dirt is out before I pull the stump out of the hole. Often times when I'm getting the dirt out of the roots I will end up splitting the stump.

The benefit of a ripper versus bucket is obviously that you concentrate force in a small area. I don't see how a ripper would be any more likely than a bucket to stress a BH. Indeed, as you are more likely to tear through a root than get the bucket stuck, it seems a ripper would be easier on the BH. Obviously technique is important but so long as you learn to select the right size root to "muscle", then the ripper should hang up only momentarily before tearing the root. Sometimes the root is too big and needs to be nibbled. When roots are too big the ripper tends to curl the root up. If the ripper has teeth on the cutting edge, those teeth will gouge the root and weaken it. I didn't have teeth cut into my ripper but I did weld on a sharp piece of drilling rod to both front and back of the ripper and these serve the same purpose. The tear out approximately an inch of the root if the root moves against the drilling rod while curling in front or extending along the back of the ripper.

I'd think that teeth would probably work a bit better but the drilling rod does improve the performance of the ripper. Photo shows the new ripper and then the modifications (before repainting). If it did it again, I'd move the front drill rod up about 3-4 inches into the belly of the curve so it will catch the root earlier in the curl.

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 189
  • image-1832711936.png
    image-1832711936.png
    766.5 KB · Views: 191
  • image-2368658073.png
    image-2368658073.png
    889.8 KB · Views: 260
   / Backhoe Ripper #24  
The benefit of a ripper versus bucket is obviously that you concentrate force in a small area. I don't see how a ripper would be any more likely than a bucket to stress a BH. Indeed, as you are more likely to tear through a root than get the bucket stuck, it seems a ripper would be easier on the BH. Obviously technique is important but so long as you learn to select the right size root to "muscle", then the ripper should hang up only momentarily before tearing the root. Sometimes the root is too big and needs to be nibbled. When roots are too big the ripper tends to curl the root up. If the ripper has teeth on the cutting edge, those teeth will gouge the root and weaken it. I didn't have teeth cut into my ripper but I did weld on a sharp piece of drilling rod to both front and back of the ripper and these serve the same purpose. The tear out approximately an inch of the root if the root moves against the drilling rod while curling in front or extending along the back of the ripper.

I'd think that teeth would probably work a bit better but the drilling rod does improve the performance of the ripper. Photo shows the new ripper and then the modifications (before repainting). If it did it again, I'd move the front drill rod up about 3-4 inches into the belly of the curve so it will catch the root earlier in the curl.

All good points. Any way you slice it you still have to tear out the roots to get a stump out. The way I have to approach it is if the root is too large to break near the stump I move outward where it's smaller and weaker then work my way into it.

The idea of not disturbing as much ground using a ripper is appealing if it doesn't pull too much clay to the surface. What I attempt to do is to first dig the top soil and place it in it's own pile then I start in on digging the stump out. Inevitably I end up with more clay mixed in my top soil than I would like but I do get most of the top soil back on top by filling the hole with the clay first. It would seem that a ripper may tend to mix the soils together as you dig since you don't really scoop any of it while ripping. (just another thought from someone that has never used a ripper)

/ Backhoe Ripper #25  
All good points. Any way you slice it you still have to tear out the roots to get a stump out. The way I have to approach it is if the root is too large to break near the stump I move outward where it's smaller and weaker then work my way into it.

The idea of not disturbing as much ground using a ripper is appealing if it doesn't pull too much clay to the surface. What I attempt to do is to first dig the top soil and place it in it's own pile then I start in on digging the stump out. Inevitably I end up with more clay mixed in my top soil than I would like but I do get most of the top soil back on top by filling the hole with the clay first. It would seem that a ripper may tend to mix the soils together as you dig since you don't really scoop any of it while ripping. (just another thought from someone that has never used a ripper)

Yes, the real benefit of a ripper is that it allows you to cause less damage to turf and create a smaller hole in the ground. That means it is also a faster process of course. I found that when taking out trees less than about 30 ft, maybe 40 ft, tall that ripping roots and pushing the tree over would leave only a small divot in the ground. Something that I could pretty much fill in by turning the tractor around and using a 4n1 bucket to smooth it all over.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
   / Backhoe Ripper #26  
Did you consider mounting that replaceable tip with the thick side above rather than below? That's the way they're mounted on box blade scarfiers, probably for wear and stress reasons.

Very nice build.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    638.4 KB · Views: 209
   / Backhoe Ripper
I find that even with the ripper I still need to go a bit further out from the base to where the roots are a bit thinner to get through them. It is just a small backhoe.

Personally I dont see how it puts more stress on the backhoe than the bucket because it stalls out alot less then with the bucket on. Guess time will tell. I like the idea of breaking the roots on one side and pushing the tree over that was mentioned by a couple guys here....changed my strategy for knocking down this forest.

Did you consider mounting that replaceable tip with the thick side above rather than below? That's the way they're mounted on box blade scarfiers, probably for wear and stress reasons.

Very nice build.

The scarifier actually came with the tip like your saying but I switched it around because I didnt like the angle it was at when you would be trying to pull through the root. Not sure yet if it was a good idea or not. They only cost a few bucks and take a couple mins to change so if it doesnt hold up I will try it the other way next time.

/ Backhoe Ripper #28  
just finished welding up my version of a ripper.20170528_124023.jpg