home made generator

/ home made generator #1  

point

Hey has anyone built a generator?
I am looking for plans for one to run a substancial part of my homes needs when the power goes out

Thanks Todd

/ home made generator #3  
Hi Todd
I have built many generators....do you need dc or ac , and what h.p ....I can steer you to what ya need...my latest is powered by a 8 hp techumseh and uses and auto alternator it can produce 120ac or 12vdc
Don

/ home made generator #4  
How much do you want to spend on the entire project including transfer switch?

/ home made generator #5  
Hi
was that 120 vac at what Frequency.

Charlie.

/ home made generator #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey has anyone built a generator?
I am looking for plans for one to run a substancial part of my homes needs when the power goes out)</font>

Unless you have an engine, generator head, or both lying around a
commercial genset is likely the lowest cost solution especially for
gasoline fueled units.

/ home made generator #8  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Hi
was that 120 vac at what Frequency.

Charlie. )</font>

extemely high frequncy 250 to 400 hz...unless you rewind it...

the upside is you can run all120vac appliances that have universal motors (drill, skill saw, etc)
so with an old alternator and a lawn mower engine you can re charge a battery bank through a full wave bridge rectifier like missourihick used on his welder, do light welding, or use a.c motors (universal)

/ home made generator #9  
If you have a nice head of water a Banke turbine can power a nice sized generator.

/ home made generator #10  
Here is a site that has lengthy articles about building generators to live "off grid." I particularly like the articles about the "Listeroids"--knock off Lister Diesel engines made in India. Nothing like a thumper.

Utterpower

Regards, Dave