A "temporary" wood splitter

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #11  
I would advertise free firewood. Someone will come and take it.

Then I would order a cord of firewood already split and delivered, unless you are emotionally attached to that tree or can see firewood splitting in future projects..

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #12  
Agree with Deere Dude. It is not worth it. You could pile the pieces up and have a little barn fire. Order some nice seasoned whiteoak and don't worry about it if you need wood for winter.

If on the other hand, you split and cut wood all the time then I would suggest buying a log splitter.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #13  
One does not just build a "temporary" log splitter. Once they know you have a splitter, you will get offered trees for the taking by friends and family. Before you know it youre on the lookout for firewood, because you have a splitter anyways... And when you build it "temporary" and it breaks, you need to get it fixed beause you have logs anyways... ;)

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #14  
Fiskars x27 for the win.

That guy, tunkey4099 is over 80 and still splits over 10 full cords a year.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #15  
You could do what I did when I had my chainsaw fetish. If a new saw came out, i had to have it. I'd buy it, keep it for a year, and then sell it for not that much of a loss because invariably, the saw price would go up. I've seen these things at Tractor Supply for 6-700 bucks. Use it, sell it for 5-600 bucks and it's cheaper than renting because you can keep it as long as you like without the onus of returning a rental.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #16  
Buy a used one and sell when done Or being that it's Ash, You can get one of those small electric splitters for $200. I have one at my cabin and have easily split 10" Birch with it. It's certainly not adequate for my home wood use but works well for fire pit stuff.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #17  
If you were my neighbor I would split it for you for free.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #18  
My 89 year old father-in-law sits on a log in his garage and splits wood by hand with a wedge and a hand sledge.... and some beers! :laughing:

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #19  
My 89 year old father-in-law sits on a log in his garage and splits wood by hand with a wedge and a hand sledge.... and some beers! :laughing:

That's awesome! :)