A "temporary" wood splitter

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I've got several pieces (1 tree worth of ash) of log for firewood that's 8" to 10" in diameter. There's to much for me to split by hand and not enough to make it worth while to buy a real logsplitter. What I'm thinking about doing is to use a steel beam with a wedge and 4" cylinder on it and the tractors hydraulics to run the cylinder. This way all I'll need to buy is the hydraulic cylinder and hoses. What I have is a 6' long 4 x 8 beam left over from building a barn - the web is 3/16" and the flanges are flat so it's not an "I" beam. Does anyone know if I'm going to bend the beam while splitting wood? Do I need a heavier beam? The ash is mostly free of knots.

The tractor is 2828 psi @ 11gpm -- a 50hp diesel powered log splitter!

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #2  
Is it possible to rent a log splitter? Seems like too much work to build something for 1 tree.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #3  
And to spoil all your fun... you could split a few by hand over how ever long it takes. :thumbsup:

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #4  
I've got several pieces (1 tree worth of ash) of log for firewood that's 8" to 10" in diameter. There's to much for me to split by hand and not enough to make it worth while to buy a real logsplitter. What I'm thinking about doing is to use a steel beam with a wedge and 4" cylinder on it and the tractors hydraulics to run the cylinder. This way all I'll need to buy is the hydraulic cylinder and hoses. What I have is a 6' long 4 x 8 beam left over from building a barn - the web is 3/16" and the flanges are flat so it's not an "I" beam. Does anyone know if I'm going to bend the beam while splitting wood? Do I need a heavier beam? The ash is mostly free of knots.

The tractor is 2828 psi @ 11gpm -- a 50hp diesel powered log splitter!

Ash splits if you look at real hard. About as easily as wood can be split. Sometimes it can be somewhat stringy, but pull those little pieces off for kindling.

One trees worth? hmmmm, about 25 20inch rounds? (counting the larger tops.

Unless you are just bent on building a splitter just to do it, Can you hire some 17 year old for a couple of hours?

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #5  
Ash splits if you look at real hard. About as easily as wood can be split. Sometimes it can be somewhat stringy, but pull those little pieces off for kindling.

One trees worth? hmmmm, about 25 20inch rounds? (counting the larger tops.

Unless you are just bent on building a splitter just to do it, Can you hire some 17 year old for a couple of hours?

Around here, a 17 year old is about worthless! If it can't be done on a phone with an app, it can't be done!
David from jax

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #6  
yah....I am a middle aged fat-*** and I can still split more than a tree's worth at a time. Even if you only do a couple pieces, then take a break you'd be done in no time.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter
Does not seem possible to rent or borrow a log splitter - none within 30 miles as far as I know. But lots of saw mills - I can get 17' logs sawn as long as they are 8.5" at the small end. And finding anyone (17yr old or adult) to do this is quite difficult. I've been splitting by hand and i'm pushing 70 now and looking for a less labor intensive method.

If I understand the equations for deflection and the forces involved, it should work. However, it looks like I'll be half way to the cost of a "real" log splitter just on the cost of the cylinder and hoses.

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #8  
Is it possible to rent a log splitter? Seems like too much work to build something for 1 tree.

x2 on renting something. cash x time spent on making a log spliter. you could have rented something.

pending on time of year around here, you can get free firewood, how much is it worth to even worth to split it?

/ A "temporary" wood splitter #9  
I just built a splitter with a used 4x30" cylinder and scrap I beam. By the time you add in the cylinder, hoses, quick couplers, extra hydraulic oil for your tractor, you're probably going to be in the $3-400 ballpark pretty quick. Is the valve on your tractor controlling the remotes easy to reach from the ground? If not, you'll want a valve on the splitter which adds to the cost.

Small wood like you're talking about, with coupons you could get a Chinese electric splitter for $250 ish from HF and either keep it or sell when you're done. They also have a manual pumping one for cheaper, but it has got to be slooooow.

5 ton Log Splitter