My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video)

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Just put this video on Youtube.

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #2  
Neat idea!! I like it!!

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #3  
I think I would put the wires lower so that the plants have less chance of covering them as they grow.
Great idea.
How long does the battery last once the wood gets wet?
I have heard that a single copper wire will work also because there are chemicals in slug slime that create a small current when the copper is touched. Wonder if it would work with a stainless steel wire and a copper wire, sort of a bi-metal battery.

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #4  
Great idea.

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video)
I think I would put the wires lower so that the plants have less chance of covering them as they grow.
Great idea.
How long does the battery last once the wood gets wet?
I have heard that a single copper wire will work also because there are chemicals in slug slime that create a small current when the copper is touched. Wonder if it would work with a stainless steel wire and a copper wire, sort of a bi-metal battery.

Thanks. I did an experiment with copper and aluminum and if you look at that experiment alone it looks like materials alone are not very effective. But I still need to experiment more as when I was checking slugs out on the new raised bed (above) I noticed that several slugs got immediately turned away from just touching just one SS wire (no current flow in usual way). I've observed in other raised bed experiments that slugs will almost always pass over the first wire without a problem and then get the tingle as they proceed and touch the second wire. After being stung once they will immediately turn away from just one wire (fast learners). I didn't want to include that info in the above video as it needs more study.

The 9-volt battery typically lasts for the whole growing season here and we are in a pretty wet climate.

Here's the video on comparing slug control methods (btw as time permits I will be putting up a new video comparing coffee, egg shells, etc.)

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #6  
Great idea Bob . I have the wire but I am wondering where to buy the stainless steel staples ? So far this summer it has been very dry here . It has been a while since I have been in town .

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video)
Great idea Bob . I have the wire but I am wondering where to buy the stainless steel staples ? So far this summer it has been very dry here . It has been a while since I have been in town .

Thanks seal - Pretty sure I bought them at Canadian Tire a year or two ago... probably a regular item.

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #8  
Are stainless steel staples and SS wire absolutely required?

Great idea. I'm planning to give it a try. Thanks!

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #9  
Are stainless steel staples and SS wire absolutely required?

Great idea. I'm planning to give it a try. Thanks!

I think the regular ones would rust out in 6 months here with the salt air and damp weather . We are surrounded by salt water in Nfld .

/ My raised bed garden with built-in slug control (video) #10  
Thanks seal - Pretty sure I bought them at Canadian Tire a year or two ago... probably a regular item.

Thanks Bob . Canadian Tire here is showing them . 2 pks in stock on their web site .