Sand blasting units

/ Sand blasting units
A shop just opened down the road from me. I am going to get a quote on doing my dump trailer.

/ Sand blasting units #12  
A different option if you already own a pressure washer...
For limited applications...there is always the pressure washer media blaster attachments...They actually work quite well on parts that can tolerate the water and pressure...media is difficult to recover though...

There is a process using water (driven by air, I believe) with crushed glass or sand as the media to strip the paint from automobiles (it's a franchise thing, they come to your house!) They don't even bother to reclaim the media, and the paint is in tiny bits. I wanted to try something like this on greasy parts that also need paint removed in one single process.
Dustless Blasting - Automotive

Last edited:
   / Sand blasting units
DRY AIR. If you don't have a drier and a good one don't bother with a pressure pot. I tossed my HF pot rig a while back as it was just too much trouble to keep from plugging. Pumping water constantly in spite of the compressor being in the basement with 8' vertical and 50' of 3/4" copper pipe with 2 j traps and a separator at the end. Just like the TIP schematics show for a professional system, ha!
I just now use my simple stupid old $7 early 90s HF suction gun stuck in a 5 gallon pail of media. Slower sure but no fuss no muss and water never makes it miss a beat. You lose most or all of that advertised 5 times faster when it's got multiple points to clog. Besides that pot takes up a lot of room whereas I just hang the siphon gun on the wall..

What kind of money am I looking at to buy a drier ? I am retiring soon and time is not a problem. If I can save decent money on projects I would like to do it since there is only so much fishing,hunting,trapping and snowmobiling I can do. LOL

/ Sand blasting units #15  
In a factory we used a air dryer to keep air tools running. If you are blasting and using a big nozzle a dryer will not keep up to the cfm you are putting threw. Get a quote on a rental and cost of abrasive. You will be ahead to let someone else do it for you. Had a business in Dayton Ohio that soda blasted cars. Lasted about two years and I got a sale bill from the bank that was selling the assets.

/ Sand blasting units #16  
DRY AIR. If you don't have a drier and a good one don't bother with a pressure pot. I tossed my HF pot rig a while back as it was just too much trouble to keep from plugging. Pumping water constantly in spite of the compressor being in the basement with 8' vertical and 50' of 3/4" copper pipe with 2 j traps and a separator at the end. Just like the TIP schematics show for a professional system, ha!
I just now use my simple stupid old $7 early 90s HF suction gun stuck in a 5 gallon pail of media. Slower sure but no fuss no muss and water never makes it miss a beat. You lose most or all of that advertised 5 times faster when it's got multiple points to clog. Besides that pot takes up a lot of room whereas I just hang the siphon gun on the wall..

I've done much similar with a small air compressor. Takes time and patience. Also used that method to apply undercoating. (Mixture of roofing tar & kerosene ) It works but not like a professional unit.