Sand blasting units

/ Sand blasting units #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
I have been looking at various units and was wondering if anyone has any input. Mostly to restore equipment. I have looked at the HF 100 or so lb unit and thought about buying their tank and a better nozzle. Also I would need to get a lot bigger compressor.

/ Sand blasting units #2  
I've had the HF sandblast cabinet for about 5 years now. I think it sells for $179. and holds about 40 lb. of abrasive. I run it off my HD 80 gallon shop air compressor and it works fine.

I have used the HF 110 lb. portable blaster for larger jobs that won't fit in the cabinet (borrowed from a friend) but try to avoid using it. Its quite a pain spreading out a large tarp to catch the abrasive then shoveling it up once you are done. It also does a decent job.

I've only had to replace the ceramic tips a few times and replaced the glass viewing window once.

/ Sand blasting units #3  
You also need dry air.

You can do some little jobs, with a siphon or cup blaster. But, if you want to run a big unit, you will spend some money.

Buying the equipment to do big sandblasting jobs properly, makes having it done professionally seem like a bargain.

If you don't have an air drier of some type, what it takes to run a large unit, will cause you to be spraying your clean metal with water vapor, as you blast it.

/ Sand blasting units #4  
I have both a Harbor fright portable tank unit and a Skat blast cabinet. I use the cabinet about 100 to 1.
They are expensive but work GREAT- good lighting, filters, lots of media, and a lot of room to work.
Skat Blast Cabinets

Last edited:
   / Sand blasting units #5  
X2 on Scat Blast cabinet. I also have a HF 40 lb. portable tank that collects dust in the back of the garage. To much hassle to setup & use. For big stuff I use electrolysis now.

/ Sand blasting units #6  
I have both a Harbor fright portable tank unit and a Skat blast cabinet. I use the cabinet about 100 to 1.
They are expensive but work GREAT- good lighting, filters, lots of media, and a lot of room to work.
Skat Blast Cabinets

X3 on the Skat Blast cabinets. I like mine too although admittedly I've never tried any others.

IMG_2789.JPG

Terry

/ Sand blasting units #7  
I have been looking at various units and was wondering if anyone has any input. Mostly to restore equipment. I have looked at the HF 100 or so lb unit and thought about buying their tank and a better nozzle. Also I would need to get a lot bigger compressor.

Restoring equipment can cover a broad area. Depending on what you are trying to blast off, the amount of surface area you have, the level of finish you are wanting and the amount of time you have to it will determines the size blaster you need.

Blasting cabinets are nice, but your part size is limited. If the majority of your parts are small enough to fit inside a cabinet, then that's a good option.

If you have larger parts then a commercial blaster may be a better option for you. Don't be surprised if they can blaster it cheaper than you can buy the sand.

You can also check with some local rental yards. Many offer a commercial blaster/compressor combo that you can rent.

I have a 350 lbs pressure pot with a 250 CMF compressor.

/ Sand blasting units #8  
I bought a Texas Blaster recently. So far it seems like a nice unit for what I need. I run it off a a Rolair 60 gal compressor with a Milton water separator and water is not an issue.

/ Sand blasting units #9  
A different option if you already own a pressure washer...
For limited applications...there is always the pressure washer media blaster attachments...They actually work quite well on parts that can tolerate the water and pressure...media is difficult to recover though...

/ Sand blasting units #10  
DRY AIR. If you don't have a drier and a good one don't bother with a pressure pot. I tossed my HF pot rig a while back as it was just too much trouble to keep from plugging. Pumping water constantly in spite of the compressor being in the basement with 8' vertical and 50' of 3/4" copper pipe with 2 j traps and a separator at the end. Just like the TIP schematics show for a professional system, ha!
I just now use my simple stupid old $7 early 90s HF suction gun stuck in a 5 gallon pail of media. Slower sure but no fuss no muss and water never makes it miss a beat. You lose most or all of that advertised 5 times faster when it's got multiple points to clog. Besides that pot takes up a lot of room whereas I just hang the siphon gun on the wall..