steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
I purchased a steel Quonset hut, if that's how its spelt, 5 years ago. Due to various reasons it was never put up. Now I'm going to try and build it. I moved and have no one left to help me out. I was wondering if anyone had any idea's on how I could build it myself. I thought of building a jig, to support the shape of a built arch on the ground/cement pad and then I could tip up on the jig with the loader into standing position, keep doing this until arch after arch are bolted together. I don't have much of an idea how their fastened together as he has to send me a new set of blue prints, which are not exactly like the originals.

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #2  
Check Youtube . Lots of various videos. Just remember that even thou they are steel , some still collapse under heavy snow load. They always seem to fall in from the center . I think it's important to keep the snow cleared away from the sides of the building and not let it build up to high towards the peak.
Al

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings
Yeah, my problem is I have no help. I see them building an arch on the ground, and then standing it up. But without two or three people Its difficult alone. Its why I thought of making a jig , maybe a "cross" to support the top center, and two sides near the end and then tip it up with the tractor to where I can put bolts in. But I think I'm dreaming. It would just be too difficult to line things up and most likely end up bending it somehow. Though if anyone has any ideas, feel free.

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #4  
Part of it depends on how big/wide the building is. I have a 25x40 A frame US Steel building. I poured the floor and foundation/pony wall first, then started on the building. I put up the first 2 bows, assembled on the ground, then tilted up. First two by my self, stubborn, wanted to see if I could. I could, didn't want to. Couple of friends had it up in a couple of short days. Used scaffold on wheels in the center, tilted up section at a time. Couple of secrets, actually in the building plans, Foundation really needs to be flat, level, and square. Mine uses a 9-10" wide 2-4" deep groove to contain the building. DO NOT tighten the bolts until the entire building is up. It needs to be flexible to line the bolt holes up. Make sure you have some sort of tie downs during construction, wind can really mess things up. I used an impact gun/driver to tighten the nuts, all 3900 of them. I only had to hold one to keep the bolt from spinning.
I just used a rope with a s hook in the middle of the arch to pull the arch in place will on the scaffold, actually had boards across the scaffold to help support the arch at the correct height. If you can find a couple of hands/kids/spouse just to guide the bottom in place it is not that hard.

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings
Ok. I think the one I have has pieced placed on the footer just after cement is poured. It has 3 or 4 inch walls that the bottom ends of the arches bolt to. I'm not sure how I['ll place the bottom of the arch in those once its stood up. Then I assume the arches overlap somehow to bolt together. How heavy is one arch? Mine is suppose to be 25 x 36 I believe. Do you need one person inside and one out while tightening the bolts afterward? I was thinking of getting some square stock, make adjustable ends, build the arch on the ground, place the frame which would support the top peak, and two ends which touch the ground. Then tip up the whole thing, and get on the scaffold and try and place into exact position to line up holes, but I just think its too much. I'm going to have to get someone to help me, that's the hard part.

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #6  
A friend of mine put up a 40' x 100' Quonset by himself after building a rolling scaffolding on top of an old VW bus. He'd put together a couple of rows , then roll the whole thing forward a bit and do a couple more rows until he was done!

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #7  
I purchased a steel Quonset hut, if that's how its spelt, 5 years ago. Due to various reasons it was never put up. Now I'm going to try and build it. I moved and have no one left to help me out. I was wondering if anyone had any idea's on how I could build it myself. I thought of building a jig, to support the shape of a built arch on the ground/cement pad and then I could tip up on the jig with the loader into standing position, keep doing this until arch after arch are bolted together. I don't have much of an idea how their fastened together as he has to send me a new set of blue prints, which are not exactly like the originals.

VroomVroom what part of Nfld did you move to ? I think if you ask around someone would give you a lift putting it up . Most Nflders are very helpful to each other .

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #8  
most of the smaller hut building I have seen they used a scaffold in the middle to help support the sheets when bolting them together,

a lot of working by ones self is to be creative,

but may be hiring some help could be the solution to the problem,

see if there are any U tube videos

How to Construct A Metal Building, With Narration -- Curvco Steel - YouTube

Building My Steel Garage - YouTube

call the company and see if there are others around your area you can talk to, that have put up your type of building,

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #9  
While one person can assemble the building by themselves, but it isn't going to be fun and not all individuals would up to the task.

Maneuvering the preassembled arch sections and lining up the bolt holes by yourself is going to be frustrating. Get at least one other person to help even if you have to pay them. Two helpers would be ideal.

/ steel garage "A" frame style, future steel buildings #10  
Rig up a gin pole on the back of a pickup or large tractor. Use a chain hoist to get the frame vertical and a few inches of the floor. line up the frame with the anchor point. rig a box around the anchor plate and let down gently on the bolts and start the nuts down finger tight. A scissor lift will be necessary to access the pieces tying the top together. Most contractor jobs the either use a big fork lift or a cherry picker crane, they cost a lot to rent for a small job that will take more than one day. some of the earlier posts have some ideas to use with this method.

Ron