Fabricated ROPS

/ Fabricated ROPS #1  

Ozarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
Have any of you successfully designed and fabricated a ROPS for the gray market Yanmars? I think I really need one on my 1500 and have a few ideas floating around in my head but why reinvent the wheel if someone else already has a good design?

/ Fabricated ROPS
Well that didn't get much of a response. I thought someone had posted some pictures a couple of years ago. Maybe that was in a different forum.

How about this. Does anyone have the US equivalent to the YM1500 with factory ROPS installed? I'm thinking that there can't be that much difference in the basic design and that the US ROPS might fit with little or no modification.

Can anyone post pictures of the US model with ROPS that shows the way it is attached to the tractor?

/ Fabricated ROPS #3  
Sorry for no responses...just wait a bit. I also have a 1500 and would like to make a ROPS...on the list of projects at least. Many may be reluctant to even send a picture for fear of liability...it's getting crazy! You may want to find some other Yanmars and take some photos of the attachment technique that was used for a factory ROPS. The ROPS is not too tough...just the best way to attach to the tractor.

Maybe others with a factory/homemade ROPS can add some rear/side photos to help us sort this out!?! maybee...maybee...huh...huh...huhh /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter

/ Fabricated ROPS #4  
Ozarker,

I hope you get some good replies...

One thing that comes to my mind is that if you do-it-yourself, unless you have some pretty solid engineering knowledge, you are basically betting that what you put together will do what it is supposed to do in a worst case event.

In other words you are betting your life on your design/craftsmanship. This does not mean that you will not win the bet!

There was an example in the safety forum where someone actually bought a factory-designed ROPS, and installed it but did not install the additional factory-designed brackets that were required. And a grandfather lost his grandson in a tragic back-flip situation. Stuff happens...turned out the transmission housing broke and the ROPS did not protect...even though it was a factory ROPS.

Point is that a ROPS need not only look like it will work, but it needs to work when it is called upon.

May be better that you just give careful consideration to your particular tractor, maybe try to find out how factor ROPS are installed on that model, and then copy it.

A false sense of security is worse than no sense of security in my book. At least you may be thrown clear of a tractor without a ROPS as you will not be wearing a seat belt. Belting in to a tractor with a ROPS that is not a ROPS could be worse than what you have now...

I am not being negative here...just trying to be practical... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fabricated ROPS
I have been looking at the ROPS set-up on other MFG's tractors trying to get a good idea of how they are attached and what material is used. I have yet to find another Yanmar similar to mine with a ROPS but I know that the US models had them.

My gut feeling is that the three threaded holes on each side of the diff are there for ROPS but I'm not positive. Assuming that is what they are designed for, that area is probably strong enough to hold the weight of the tractor. But if they are there for a different purpose then it may not be strong enough.

I have a manual for the YM195 which is close to the 1500. It shows the ROPS but never in enough detail to see how it is mounted........but it looks like the rear axle housing might be square and the ROPS mounted on top of it.

If it is that simple then it would be just as simple to mount a factory ROPS for the YM195 on my 1500. I would just have to weld a flat mounting pad on top of my round axle housing.

I am just hoping someone who posts here has a US model and posts a picture of the mount.

/ Fabricated ROPS
Thanks Henro but if I have to design from scratch, my biggest problem has anways been over-engineering things.

/ Fabricated ROPS #7  
I know what you mean but remember healing really hurts sometimes and it you have the chance to heal then you have been lucky! So over doing it has its positives!

Hope you find the solution to the rops issue easily and that you never have to test it!

Also glad my tractor has a factory installed ROPS...sure saves a lot of head scratching... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fabricated ROPS #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have yet to find another Yanmar similar to mine with a ROPS but I know that the US models had them)</font>
I don't think the US models did have the ROPS. The YMxx00 series were made in the 70s if I recollect correctly, and I don't believe it was the standard of the day to have the ROPS at that time. I think the YM240 (YM2000 gray) did not have a ROPS and it's of the same era. You might check with Len Sheaffer who does a lot of Yanmar parts etc. at:
sheaftractor@coiinc.com Best of luck to you, John

/ Fabricated ROPS #9  
While Henro has you thinking about the safety aspect (and appropriately so) of constructing your own ROPS, I have a practical suggestion.

Make the ROPS uprights vertical and parallel. That may seem obvious and may even be the easiest way to go when building your own, but its also useful for easier mounting of that nice canopy you're going to want to put on top of your new ROPS. From a side view, my '97 vintage Deere has ROPS that are swept back several degrees, and from a front view, they are not parallel. They angle closer together as you go up from fender level to the top crossbar of the ROPS. Kinda stylish looking, I guess, but more difficult to mount a canopy to.

OkieG

/ Fabricated ROPS
My Operators manual for the YM195 shows a ROPS in the pictures and there is a parts drawing for it in the back of the manual. It may have been an option. Unfortunately, there is no picture that shows how it is attached to the tractor.

Clearly, there is a mount pad welded to the axle housing and the ROPS is mounted there. But there are also side brackets and I really can't tell where or how they attach to the tractor. I assume that those side brackets are critical to the strength of the attachment and anything less would be dangerous.