Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice?

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #1  

JoeClark

Tractor
John Deere
Hello,

Looking for some 1st-hand information please. Anyone else made a move cross-country and moved their farm equipment, along with 'everything else'?!
We have a sub-compact JD tractor with about 6 attachments, 2 large trailers, a 4 wheeler, and other misc. farm things that need to be moved, across the US. We can move them, but it will take several 2,000+ mile trips that really isn't feasible for us to justify the mileage and cost on our vehicles.
I am looking into moving companies that move large items, but with so many scams out there, I need firsthand info here.
I checked out Farming Equipment Video for some more information but did nt find much.So, anyone with experience having done this before, or know of a reputable company they've used, I'd love to get some advice or names, please.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #2  
Most sites have a shipping and hauling forum . Yesterdays tractors is one . These people are usually upfront , they have to be . one bad rap and they are hurting . Call around . Kevin .

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #3  
I think it was the guy that built the F100 truck with an Ecoboost engine. He was quoted something like $30k to move all his garage stuff, engines, trucks, etc. So he bought a semi and trailer, used it for the move and sold it for close to what he paid for it. If you don't have a CDL maybe a friend does? Obviously there's license, insurance, etc and possibility of breakdown/maintenance that may cut into the savings.

How big are your trailers? Would you be able to fit all your farm stuff on them and hire a hotshot to drag one or both?

Years ago (before house and before kids) when I moved to the west coast I bought a 20' enclosed trailer and loaded our two bedroom apartment into it. Used it as a snowmobile trailer for 2 years then sold it for about 85% of what I paid for it before we moved overseas. Enclosed trailers really seem to hold their value.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #4  
What about ABF upack? If you had a way of loading and unloading would be the biggest obstacle. Old dominion freight has the same type thing, were they park a 28' trailer at your house and you load it.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #5  
buy a 40ft shipping container, take your time loading with all your stuff, hire semi truck to transport it. then you still have a container for storage at the new place.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #6  
Find a trucking company that needs a backhaul. For instance when I purchased my Versatile 150 out in Iowa I called a local trucking company that hauls steel buildings made here all over. They picked up my tractor the next day as they had a truck less than 50 miles away from the tractor that was empty. It cost me less than half what it was going to cost me to have it shipped. They did have to let a bunch of air out of the tires to get it to legal height - lowered it about 4" to make sure they were legal but part of the problem was that it only weighed about 9000 lbs and it wasn't enough to take the pre-bow out of the trailer.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #7  
Hello,

Looking for some 1st-hand information please. Anyone else made a move cross-country and moved their farm equipment, along with 'everything else'?!
We have a sub-compact JD tractor with about 6 attachments, 2 large trailers, a 4 wheeler, and other misc. farm things that need to be moved, across the US. We can move them, but it will take several 2,000+ mile trips that really isn't feasible for us to justify the mileage and cost on our vehicles.
I am looking into moving companies that move large items, but with so many scams out there, I need firsthand info here.
I checked out Farming Equipment Video for some more information but did nt find much.So, anyone with experience having done this before, or know of a reputable company they've used, I'd love to get some advice or names, please.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can get quotes and compare this to doing it yourself. Either way someone is having to make at least one trip cross country. That isn't going to be cheap. You say you have large trailers but no mention of their actual size or what you have to pull them with. That can make a big difference in how this could be done.

For long trips you may need new tires on the ground (truck and trailers) but at least you would have these improvements long term. Make sure everything is in good shape such as trailer bearings, brakes, hitches, lighting and tie downs. Make sure you are legal in the states you travel through too. Towing is much easier the farther west you go getting away from the eastern seaboard.

Make sure whatever you are hauling is worth the expense of this trip.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #8  
The OP is in London, UK, according to the poster info.

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #9  
The OP is in London, UK, according to the poster info.

Yup!
The OP is in London, UK.
Seems a bit obvious though that he is talking about transporting in the USA.
He mentions a transport distance of 2000 miles.
There are no two locations in the British Isles that are 2000 miles apart!

/ Moving Farm Equipment CrossCountry-advice? #10  
Yup!
The OP is in London, UK.
Seems a bit obvious though that he is talking about transporting in the USA.
He mentions a transport distance of 2000 miles.
There are no two locations in the British Isles that are 2000 miles apart!
And the fact he said, "across the us"