Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300 #1  

stugpanzer

Tractor
John Deere X300
I am gathering all the parts for a snow cab. I designed some parts to print on my 3D printer so I can use 3/4" EMT Conduit. My plan is to make the top out of 3/4 plywood which will create it's own structure (no need to strengthen as it's rigid enough). I want to use Lexan for the windows with minimal other material (plywood and such) as I want good visibility.

I bought a switch box to control the lights (inside and out) that I will have: Amazon.com: LAMPHUS SWBX42 LED Backlit Switch Box [4x 25A ON/OFF Rocker Switches] [2x Momentary Switches] [Adjustable Swivel Bracket] - Perfect for Police, Firefighter, or Construction Vehicles: Automotive

A set of LED Work Lights: Amazon.com: SUCOOL 2pcs one pack 4 inch square 48w led work light off road Flood lights truck lights 4x4 off road tractor jeep work lights fog lamp For Jeep Cabin/Boat/SUV/Truck/Car/ATV/automative/ 1-3V: Automotive

A low profile and programmable amber beacon: Amazon.com: BLP2L9P AMBER YELLOW 12-3V DC UNDERCOVER LOW PROFILE LED EMERGENCY WARNING SAFETY BEACON: Automotive

Interior (camper) light: Amazon.com: 12V Led RV Ceiling Dome Light RV Interior Lighting for Trailer Camper with Switch, Single Dome 28LM: Automotive

Slow Moving Vehicle sign for the rear.

Again, as part of this build I designed parts to print so I can use 3/4" EMT Conduit for the frame: EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing) Conduit 3/4" Fittings by stugpanzer - Thingiverse

There are photos of the parts that I have printed so far at the previous link (at Thingiverse).

I will share as I proceed with the build but I will admit it will probably be slow as I design this as I go.

Any input is always greatly appreciated!

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300 #2  
I have the same work lights you are using and they are BRIGHT and broad. I think your 3D printed connectors are great. Are you ready to take it to Shark Tank? Keep us updated with pics.

BTW, my daughter used to teach at NIU. Good corn down there.

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300 #3  
That's pretty neat. Maybe you could do some half pieces for laying on the conduit to support the metal skin at mid points or more?

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300
I have the same work lights you are using and they are BRIGHT and broad. I think your 3D printed connectors are great. Are you ready to take it to Shark Tank? Keep us updated with pics.

BTW, my daughter used to teach at NIU. Good corn down there.

Glad to hear about the lights!

Shark Tank....I should have thought of that before published on Thingiverse! I do like to share though for those that want to print and/or make improvements.

I am 20 miles from NIU! yes, our corn is always quite good in this region...also very black soil!

Thanks for the compliment! I will try to do some work and do updates as I progress......

That's pretty neat. Maybe you could do some half pieces for laying on the conduit to support the metal skin at mid points or more?

Good idea. I did the dual couplers to use as hinges. I like your idea...I might just do that. Thanks for the input!

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300 #6  
Low profile light + high hight = low visibility. I picked up a 10 pack of LED lights and a wig-wag flasher module. I have 3 on the front/back, and 2 on each side, that way you don't have to be above the roof to see it.

Low profile light + high hight = low visibility. I picked up a 10 pack of LED lights and a wig-wag flasher module. I have 3 on the front/back, and 2 on each side, that way you don't have to be above the roof to see it.

Great tip! I will keep that in mind when I get the lights on. I thought I might add some yellow (front) and red (rear) flashing lights, similar to car hazards.....

I worked on the plywood top today (pics to follow in a day or so). I used my router to round the top edges and a palm sander to just smooth it out a bit. I plan on using Fiberglass Resin without the actual glass to paint onto the wood and especially the edges to seal the wood then I will paint it.

/ Gathering Materials for a Homemade Snow Cab for my John Deere X300 #9  
Go with a heated snowmobile suit and full helmet, heated boots & gloves. Toasty warm. Add a good light on the helmet and where ever you look will be lit up.