What do you use for a fuel transfer tank?

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I want something that's safe to store in the garage, not vented, 50-75 gallons, that way I can fill it twice a year. Getting tired of hauling 8 5gal gas cans back and forth every other month, lifting them, them breaking after 1-2 years of regular use. The ones I've seen are in the neighborhood of $2k, so I'm hoping there is a more reasonable alternative.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #2  
A 55 gal drum? At the dealership I worked at there was a local oil company that would come around and refill them with off road diesel which saves you the road use tax.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #3  
Not expert on this but why none vented if talking about diesel fuel? Understand for gas but does diesel have issue with fumes? I had bil that worked for a sitework company that had a 150 gallon tank they had outgrown and just gave it to me. I keep mine in small trailer which is pulled to station to fill and then back under the shelter but can be pulled to machine if need be but seldom do need to.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank?
It's diesel, but the garage I store my fuel in is directly above the bedrooms. If there are any fumes/smells it can make the upstairs smell.

My garages and sheds are fairly full, I wasn't hoping to add a trailer to the mix.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #5  
Been using a metal 55 gal drum for decades. It sits in a drum dolly in the garage. A couple nylon straps and the FEL make handling it quick and easy and a hand pump makes filling the tractor a real plus over using cans.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #6  
I use my other fuel oil tank and just siphon off the top to fill my cans.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #7  
I picked up a 100 gal tank and pump off of Craigslist a few years back. It is vented, but there is no appreciable diesel smell in the garage unless someone spills it.

Aaron Z

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #8  
   / What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #9  
I scored two nearly new 50 gal

fuel-transfertank50-gal.png

tanks for $50@ off CL a few years ago. They do fairly well.

Recently I also bought a NT Flo n' Go Duramax Gas Caddy 14-Gallon, $80, thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/378261-nt-flo-n-go-duramax.html for $80 for something I can handle when I don't want to move 50 gallons.

And for my 5 gallon cans I use Justrite Galvanized Steel, with the metal nozzle that I got on a bodacious sale price.

I just posted a special sale on the 5 gallon Type II Just Rite for $45 including free shipping...... I purchased 3 yellow and 3 red.......since I also ordered 5 gallons of 10W30 and 5 gallons of Kubota SuperUDT2, I think I might order 3 more blue ones to hold that oil.
Thanks for posting :)
In for 3.
And later picked up a few more.

/ What do you use for a fuel transfer tank? #10  
I usually use 20 liter [+- 5 gal] cans for my tractor fuel since they're easy to lift and pour.
I also have an oil drum in the garage, mounted high enough so I can siphon into the tractor; have to be careful doing that not to overfill and get fuel everywhere.
If you want to go upmarket, get a little pump with a filling nozzle that had auto shutoff, or get an old one from a gas station.
mostly those pumps are not self priming, so have to be fed from the bottom of the tank, and even tiny leakage would be a problem.

Here in Portugal I get discounted fuel for the tractor; I can buy it from the local gas station's dedicated agricultural fuel pump or have it delivered if I but at least 100 gallons. It's dyed green.