Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
Hi everyone, unfortunately I have not had the time to read or contribute to TBN in the last few months. I still don't really have the time, but I wanted to share my latest project with you.

I don't have loaded tires on my TC33D and the rear end often gets light while I am doing loader work. I did put on two sets of NH rear wheel weights shortly after I got my tractor, but I still need more weight back there. I often have my 6 foot rear blade on the back of the tractor to help add some weight, but that makes maneuvering a little tricky at times and it isn't really as heavy of a counterweight as I would like. My 60" rotary cutter does the best job as a counterweight, but that really makes maneuvering a challenge through my woods.

I went shopping for a ballast box last year and quickly decided against them. They are pricey for what you get and I knew if I had the time I could weld one up for a fraction of the cost. I have seen many concrete ballast projects here on TBN and that really seems to be the best way to go. Many of you have added a standard trailer hitch or 2" receiver to your concrete ballast projects and I decided to borrow that idea. Wroughtn_Harv uses those 2" receivers all over the place to mount vises and benders, etc. and I decided to borrow that idea as well.

This first picture shows most of the metal that I used in this project. By the way, that is the correct date in the photo. I started welding up this project back in March when I had a little time to spare.

Attachments

• 434681-Metal_Parts.jpg
    434681-Metal_Parts.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,758
   / Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project
This picture shows four 2" receivers that I have welded together for the top of the ballast. I needed to have a sturdy metal skeleton for the concrete ballast anyway so I figured I would try and make it as useful as possible. I will be able to drop the concrete rear ballast just about anywhere and it will give me a very stable place to mount a vise, etc.

Attachments

• 434688-Four_Receivers.jpg
    434688-Four_Receivers.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,457
This picture shows the metal brackets that I welded up for my toplink to attach to.

Attachments

• 434689-Toplink_Brackets.jpg
    434689-Toplink_Brackets.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,335
Here is the metal skeleton after most of the welding has been done.

Attachments

• 434690-Final_Welds.jpg
    434690-Final_Welds.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,326
My enclosed utility trailer worked great as a temporary welding shop.

Attachments

• 434696-Welding_Shop.jpg
    434696-Welding_Shop.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,112
Here is the skeleton after it was primed. This is as far as I got back in March. Work picked up and I didn't get a chance to get back on the project until yesterday.

Attachments

• 434697-Freshly_Primed.jpg
    434697-Freshly_Primed.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,325
   / Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #7  
Spencer,
Can't quite figure out by looking, how the metal skeleton will attach to your tractor, but your welds sure look good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I rely on a grinder and paint to "pretty up" my welds. By the way, do I see wooden walls and floor for your "welding shop"? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not only are your welds nice, but you must not throw any sparks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I weld just outside an open garage door. I've only caught the kids' toys on fire twice.

OkieG

OkieG, thanks for the compliment. This picture should clear up how the skeleton is going to attach to my 3-point hitch. This is part of the box I made to hold the concrete.

Attachments

• 434702-Box_Started.jpg
    434702-Box_Started.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,384
Here is a picture of the box completed and ready to have concrete poured into it. I wanted to ease the corners of the concrete so I cut some 4x4's on an angle and put those in the corners.

Attachments

• 434709-Box_Completed.jpg
    434709-Box_Completed.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,486
   / Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #10  
Spencer,
That is real purty. I can tell you're a fabricatin' kinda guy. This is possibly a non-point, but is there some reason why you don't want the horizontal drawbar sitting under the square tubing. Would support be better...or maybe it doesn't matter?

Isn't it nice to come back to TBN after a few months away, and get hammered with hard questions right off the bat? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That really is a nice looking unit. Post some action shots when you get a chance.

OkieG