Generator shed

/ Generator shed #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Finally made some serious progress on the shed for the generator. A couple weeks back I poured the pad, but the weather wasn't cooperating. Finally some nice weather. I put cinder blocks around and glued them down using landscape rock caulk stuff and let it set for a couple days. This weekend was when the real progress was made.

The chimney for my fireplace and furnace protrudes out about 2', so I just extended that out for the generator shed. I poured a 5'x'6 concrete pad with 24" footers using about 100 bags of 60lb quick crete. I used the harbor freight concrete mixer. Poured 1gal of water to 1 bag of concrete, and was an ideal mix.

I put 2x4's around the bottom, then anchored them in with concrete anchors. This stuck them to the block very well. I used the same concrete anchors to anchor the frame to the house, and for the rafters for the roof.

I still need to put one wall up, ran out of day light. The door will be a garage door, but only 3' wide and 6' tall. The hardware is $80 then I'll make my door panels out of plywood. I don't want something that opens out because snow piles up a few feet, and I don't want something that opens in because it'll hit the generator.

The goal is to ultimately stucco to match the house so it looks like a permanent part of the house.

Here's a few pictures of the progress so far.

vChQTdsh.jpg

598kxhVh.jpg

OkHFYLYh.jpg

ROOB28Ah.jpg

DmbuIm5h.jpg

4EY4lFEh.jpg

Fx7dqS5h.jpg

O6hIHcJh.jpg

n3eDElth.jpg

kelFqC9h.jpg

/ Generator shed #2  
What are you putting in for a generator???,, are you planning on putting in some power ventilation ??

/ Generator shed #3  
Yikes, that's a lot of sacks of cement. Sounds like work! Are you planning to wire into house system? Mechanical interlock at service panel or?

/ Generator shed #4  
I'm no professional builder, but shouldn't there be some flashing where the roofline meets the chimney? Are you planning on installing some venting/fans or are you going to plumb intake and exhaust?

/ Generator shed #5  
Finally made some serious progress on the shed for the generator. A couple weeks back I poured the pad, but the weather wasn't cooperating. Finally some nice weather. I put cinder blocks around and glued them down using landscape rock caulk stuff and let it set for a couple days. This weekend was when the real progress was made.

The chimney for my fireplace and furnace protrudes out about 2', so I just extended that out for the generator shed. I poured a 5'x'6 concrete pad with 24" footers using about 100 bags of 60lb quick crete. I used the harbor freight concrete mixer. Poured 1gal of water to 1 bag of concrete, and was an ideal mix.

I put 2x4's around the bottom, then anchored them in with concrete anchors. This stuck them to the block very well. I used the same concrete anchors to anchor the frame to the house, and for the rafters for the roof.

I still need to put one wall up, ran out of day light. The door will be a garage door, but only 3' wide and 6' tall. The hardware is $80 then I'll make my door panels out of plywood. I don't want something that opens out because snow piles up a few feet, and I don't want something that opens in because it'll hit the generator.

The goal is to ultimately stucco to match the house so it looks like a permanent part of the house.

Here's a few pictures of the progress so far.

vChQTdsh.jpg

598kxhVh.jpg

OkHFYLYh.jpg

ROOB28Ah.jpg

DmbuIm5h.jpg

4EY4lFEh.jpg

Fx7dqS5h.jpg

O6hIHcJh.jpg

n3eDElth.jpg

kelFqC9h.jpg

No roof to wall flashing?
No "birds mouth" on the little 2x4 rafters?

/ Generator shed
There will be an exhaust on the one side with a fan plugged into the generator, if the generator is on, it's blowing. The generator will be hooked up to an exhaust that is piped up to the roof. One guy told me to use a down spout, but I'm not sure that'll work.

The roof isn't done yet, still need to put paper, shingles, and flashing. Was running on borrowed daylight at that point. No bird cuts, I could never get them right, so I used some braces similar to this: Simpson Strong-Tie H1Z Z-MAX Galvanized 18-Gauge Hurricane Tie-H1Z - The Home Depot

/ Generator shed #8  
Bird block is not necessary but some kind of forced cross ventilation for fresh air sure is... and flashing too if you want it semi dry. Is there a slight slope to the entry way?

/ Generator shed #9  
Interesting thread. I'm not very knowledgeable about generators, so I'll be interested to see how you finish this off.

Are you buying a pre made, pre hung door or are you making your own? The reason I ask is that your single 2x4 will bend on you even with OSB on it. I would add another 2x4 to it, but put it at a 90 degree angle to form an L if looking down on it.

To get your flashing to work with your stucco, you will need to cut a line in the stucco with a diamond blade. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder to do this. Then your flashing needs to be bent to go into the line you cut in your stucco, then go down the stucco two inches, then over your roof several more inches. I've never found this for sale in the size I wanted, so I bend my own using 2x4's and a hammer. You also need to use really good quality flashing rated sealant in that cut where you slide your flashing into the stucco. If not, water will get in there and cause problems. Nothing else matters when compared to flashing and sealing it.

/ Generator shed #10  
Eddie, I'm sure I am misunderstanding you but to be clear, you mean make a slit in the stucco and slip the flashing 'up' in behind it, right?