Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones?

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #31  
If the tool requires air volume that is at, or near the limit of what you are supplying it, like a decent sized air grinder, perhaps you could see a difference.
Most tools, that use 1/4" fittings, don't draw a lot of volume, so it won't matter.

If you are concerned about that restriction, eliminate the fitting. Connect the hose directly to the supply line. I would install a ball valve before the hose, so you can turn it off when you have a failure.

My Nitto Koiki angle grinder uses 20 CFM. (.9 HP). I've used the same style 3/8 hi flow automotive couplers in my shop for almost 40 years.

IMG_3791.JPG

Good plan on installing ball valves. I use ones with an exhaust port. Makes attaching / re-attaching easier.

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_8421.JPG

Terry

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #32  
My Dewalt air impact came the fitting stile on the right as some other tools I have did, seems like it has plenty of power. All my air jingle jangles plugs into this> 3/8 in. x 5 ft. Retractable Hose Reel

My biggest complaint is the constant changing air chuck plug-ins to stop the the constant air plug-in leaking, every couple months I have to change the air plug-ins, why? is there a good brand, better than the HD ones, what are those stile air fittings on the right called? non auto motive......

Your problem MIGHT be moisture and corrosion in your system preventing proper seating in the coupler.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #33  
Good plan on installing ball valves. I use ones with an exhaust port. Makes attaching / re-attaching easier.
Terry

That's the problem with true high volume fittings. You have to discharge the line to connect them. Not very convenient, if you change tools a lot.

There is another option, many are not aware of: RBL Products 610 M-Style 1/4" Coupler Set w/ Female Coupler / Plug

These are higher flow than standard "m" style.

This coupler works with their higher flow plugs, and is also compatible with standard "M" style plugs.

A bonus is, you do not have to retract anything to couple them, just plug it in.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #34  
Your problem MIGHT be moisture and corrosion in your system preventing proper seating in the coupler.

If it is or isn't, I do have alot of moisture in my line all the time and it's a vertical tank didn't think water would be that big of a problem, I have to look for something for a water remover.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #35  
That's the problem with true high volume fittings. You have to discharge the line to connect them. Not very convenient, if you change tools a lot.

There is another option, many are not aware of: RBL Products 610 M-Style 1/4" Coupler Set w/ Female Coupler / Plug

This coupler works with their higher flow plugs, and is also compatible with standard "M" style plugs.

A bonus is, you do not have to retract anything to couple them, just plug it in.

A that's not quite true, I'm not sure what type we have at work but the air hoses are about 3/4"o.d., 1/2" or so i.d. The air chucks are bigger than what I have, and we change tools all the time, plug unplug, the air chucks have some sort of thing to keep air from coming out, the hoses never loose air when changing tools, and they are HIGH volume air chucks for HIGH volume air tools, no HF air tools there.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #36  

Thanks for the link. I'll look into those couplers.

I don't HAVE to exhaust air pressure between the wall outlet and tool to reconnect. Sometimes if I leave something hooked up but not in use (such as the air shear or paint shaker) I like to relieve pressure on the lines and cylinders. But that's just me

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

Terry

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #37  
A that's not quite true, I'm not sure what type we have at work but the air hoses are about 3/4"o.d., 1/2" or so i.d. The air chucks are bigger than what I have, and we change tools all the time, plug unplug, the air chucks have some sort of thing to keep air from coming out, the hoses never loose air when changing tools, and they are HIGH volume air chucks for HIGH volume air tools, no HF air tools there.

I don't know what you are using either.

None of our vendors, or customers had 3/8 couplers you could connect without blowing the line down.

The only other option we had, and some customers used them, was a Dixon, or Chicago fitting, which is full flow. And, you defiantly are not coupling those with the air on.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #38  
Thanks for the link. I'll look into those couplers.

I don't HAVE to exhaust air pressure between the wall outlet and tool to reconnect. Sometimes if I leave something hooked up but not in use (such as the air shear or paint shaker) I like to relieve pressure on the lines and cylinders. But that's just me

View attachment 525770

View attachment 525778

Terry

It doesn't look like you use that shear, could you crate it up and send it to me? :thumbsup:

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #39  
It doesn't look like you use that shear, could you crate it up and send it to me? :thumbsup:

LOL. I picked it up cheap earlier this year. The sheet metal shop that had it converted it to air.

I had to re-tweak the geometry, rebuild some linkage, replumb the air and add safety guarding. New paint does wonders...

IMG_2592.JPG

Terry