Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones?

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have a few air tools and have the general use air connections for everything. Now I have learned you get a much better air flow from the larger diameter "automobile sized" air chucks and wonder if I should switch over to those. It's a pretty simple process to replace. The benefit I'm looking for would be more power from air tools without simply increasing air pressure. I feel I would get more power from my HF Earthquake impact gun and maybe more flow for HVLP painting of farm implements. I have a two stage compressor.

Anyone know about this? Should I even bother?

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #2  
The 'standard' size here is the old 1/4 PCL fitting (1/4" ID).

Moving to the larger 10mm Nitto fittings gave considerable improvement for me.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #3  
It's the HVLP guns that eat your air. What You can use for the air hogs and not spend a pile converting everything is a separate line with high flow fittings. Most of the rest of your tools aren't going to need or act any better with more airflow.
I was all about this things work better and oversize fittings check a while back and I happened across some website for some guy who obviously does a lot of math. Laid out airflow parameters of the quarter inch in the larger three eights. When he came up with was basically air flow of the 12 cubic ft./m from a quarter inch fitting . He pointed out that that was far more than almost all the air tools in a comment garage excluding three-quarter inch drive airguns will consume.
Don't be too surprised if your earthquake gun doesn't live up completely to expectations. I bought an air cat 1200 and ran it for two years now and believe me this thing is not kicking out 1200 pounds. I think the
Manufacturers must base their their impact gun ratings on running two stage air compressor which is going to give you a lot more swat then your standard air compressor will. I did notice a bit more swat with the high slow fittings on the Aircat though, just nothing especially noteworthy. Everything else I have runs fine on 1/4". In other words don't throw out your breaker bar with 6' cheater pipe and torch set, they haven't been made obsolete yet:(.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #4  
I think the Manufacturers must base their their impact gun ratings on running two stage air compressor which is going to give you a lot more swat then your standard air compressor will.

Impact gun ratings have nothing to do with the type of compressor running them. The tests don't run long enough for the compressor's characteristics to matter at all. There's no time to deplete the tank, let alone see the effects of recovery time.

175 psi from a single stage is exactly the same as 175 psi from a two stage, rotary, or any other kind of compressor you can think up. The difference is in how long each type can sustain that pressure when there is demand, and how long it takes to recover once the tank is depleted to the point where the motor kicks on.

The torque rating is all about pressure and flow, which is governed by the pressure in the tank and any restrictions between there and the gun. If you read the specifications carefully, you'll see that the torque rating is given at certain pressure. Since that pressure is specified in writing, they can't play with that number without risking problems with false advertising. But there is room to play with the flow characteristics. It would not surprise me if they pressurize a large tank to the stated pressure and run inch or inch and a half lines from that to the gun to give it unrealistically low restrictions.

It's probably like the numbers you see for log splitters. The math doesn't lie - a certain system pressure on a certain size piston will give a certain force. It's not debatable - it's basic arithmetic. But what they do is to state the force at maximum system pressure (usually 3500 psi), but they don't actually run at that pressure. They are usually well below that (typically 2500 psi).

If they are all following the same process, the numbers are valid for comparison, even if they aren't what you'll get in the real world.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #5  
To get more airflow I would jump up to a 1/2" air hose.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #6  
I run 3/8" chucks and line on all my pneumatics.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #7  
I used to have a "surge tank", made from an old propane cylinder that I could plug it in at the end of a long air hose, to give ready volume to my air impact wrench, which was at the end of a short and fat stub hose. It really did the trick.
I've just installed a two-stage 5hp IR with 80 gallon tank, and am plumbing the workshop with 3/4" copper, so I won't be needing that sort of action. There used to be kits to make an air tank out of a propane cylinder.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #8  
I'm in the process of rethinking my need for air. Yes I have air tools and a good compressor. But after seeing how much power and convenience battery impact tools have I don't think I'm going to invest in any more air tools. There are times when air is better and at times indispensable but over all battery is equal strength with considerably more convenience.

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #9  
I used to have a "surge tank", made from an old propane cylinder that I could plug it in at the end of a long air hose, to give ready volume to my air impact wrench, which was at the end of a short and fat stub hose. It really did the trick.
I've just installed a two-stage 5hp IR with 80 gallon tank, and am plumbing the workshop with 3/4" copper, so I won't be needing that sort of action. There used to be kits to make an air tank out of a propane cylinder.

I added larger fittings to a portable tank so that it could be also used as a (small) surge tank. With the addition of a ball check valve filling only takes 4-5 seconds and inflating a tire is waay quicker.

IMG_2459.JPG

Terry

/ Should I swap my airchucks from general ones to auto ones? #10  
I have a few air tools and have the general use air connections for everything. Now I have learned you get a much better air flow from the larger diameter "automobile sized" air chucks and wonder if I should switch over to those. It's a pretty simple process to replace. The benefit I'm looking for would be more power from air tools without simply increasing air pressure. I feel I would get more power from my HF Earthquake impact gun and maybe more flow for HVLP painting of farm implements. I have a two stage compressor.

Anyone know about this? Should I even bother?

I use 3/4" & 1/2" hard lines exclusively with 3/8" automotive couplers. All hoses are 1/2" & 3/8".

I just snapped a side by side comparison of 3/8 automotive vs 1/4 (on the right) for visual effect.

IMG_3721.JPG

Terry

Last edited: